1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RAM QUESTION: Dell Inspiron 531 PC.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Seclusive, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Seclusive

Seclusive Guest

Hey guys.

I have a Dell Inspiron 531. Before my question, here are the specs if it helps my question at all...

Inspiron 531, Athlon 64 X2 4000+ (2.10GHz, 512Kx2)
    Nvidia GeForce 6200 OC Graphics Card
    250GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM)
    Windows Vista Home 32-bit
    1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
    Sound Blaster X-FiTM XtremeGamer with Dolby 5.1
    Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Video: 1 DVI, VGA and 1 S-Video (with add-in PCI-Express video card)
    USB: 10 ports (4 Front, 4 back) + 2 internal
    PCI: 2 Slots
    PCIe x1: 1 Slot
    PCIe x16 (Graphics): 1 Slots
    300 Watt DC Power Supply
    Memory DIMM slots: 4

Now, once in a while, my PC decides to rampage with a RAM Dumping blue screen, and the only way to fix this is to restart it, enter Safe Mode, then restart manually back in to Normal Startup. I'm assuming this is due to putting too much pressure on the RAM during PC use. Using a Vista Gadget, it clocks my RAM to be used around 60-90% typically depending on what I do, and the blue screen usually happens mostly when i install a fat application, or play a game.

I've looked desperately for answers, but came here as my last and best resort. Is this because my RAM is too low to handle everything, especially with the bulky power of vista installed?

Generally though, a more important question I must ask is that I have 4 slots for DDR2 RAM, and two are currently occupied. Apparently, I have 1GB of RAM according to the specs of the system, but how do I go about upgrading to 4GB? Do I buy just any type of 4GB DDR2 RAM chips?

Also, what are some good reccomended brands you all suggest for 4GB of DDR2 RAM?

And my other predicament is HOW do i install the RAM? Do i take out both of the chips in the slots and replace them, or do I leave them in and add the new ones? I know RAM chips come in pairs, right? So I can only assume that the 1GB pair must come out, and be replaced by a different pair, but i'm unclear on that, and need some guidance.

I mean, I have 4 slots, and 2 are unoccupied. I'm just at a loss on how to get this stuff installed and what is reccomended.

PS: I'm looking for a very cheap deal, but with a little kick to it.

Thank you for ALL help. i GREATLY appreciate it.

2. Seclusive

Seclusive Guest

Hey guys, I did a little bit more research, and came across these on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122

What do you guys think? It seems to have VERY good reviews, and I read one that was great while owning the Inspiron 530, which from my understanding is nearly the same as the 531 except for the processor.

Another thing I learned is that while running XP or Vista on 32-bit, you don't get the full power of the RAM and it only reads about 3.60 or so of it. May I ask why this happens on 32-bit systems, but it works fully on 64-bit?

Thanks again.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member