1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RAM - Suggested amout

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by yellows, Feb 23, 2004.

1. yellows

yellows Member

Hey everyone, I am not sure where else to put this thread so please excuse me if this is not the right place. I hava an Athalon XP 2100 with 512 megs of pc2700 RAM, with a Pioneer 107 DVD drive. I have heared that windows will nto use more than 512 megs of ram. Would it be beneficial to e to add more RAM. Would this help speed up my ripping, encoding, precessing, burning and general computing? My Motherboard can hadnle up to 2 Gigs of RAM. I think I would like to add another 512 megs of RAM if this will help everything go faster. If you guys have any experience with adding more RAM above 512 megs and can tell me how it has affected your performance, please let me know. Oh by the way, everythign seems to be working fine right now so I just wanna know if it is worth adding more RAM.

Thanks in advance

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

More RAM is always good :) 1024MB is plenty and will help your boost your system because when windows runs out of RAM it's forced write temporarily to the hard drive which is a much much slower process than just zipping right through the RAM. I run 1024MB and the only time I've filled the RAM entirely is when I'm processing large photos in Photoshop.

3. fibertag

fibertag Guest

Ive been reading alot of these threads and it seems to me from what ive read your system and ram are fine you just need a faster drive for ripping to your HD. Im just running a celeron 1.3ghz w\384 megs of ram and I rip to my HD in about 45 min then another 8 min to burn.From what Ive seen thats not to far from the times people are getting w\a good setup like yours. I orderd one of those LITE-ON XJ-HD166S 16x dvd drives from newegg just for ripping. Im ganna see if it helps w\rip time if not there only $29 so Im not out anything really. Hope this helps.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

A most excellent point fibertag - one I completely neglected.

Most burners come from the factory locked at a 2X read speed. There are hacked firmwares out there that can increase the read speed on burners, but I prefer a good 16X DVD-ROM to turbo-charge the ripping process and save wear and tear on my expensive burner :) The Litey 166 is an outstanding drive.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gigabyte 8INXP, Intel P4HT 3.06
    Mushkin 1024 MB PC2100
    Sapphire 9800 Pro
    Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium/LTD-166S
    M-Audio Revolution 7.1
    "And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33[/small]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2004
  5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

My rip times with Shrink 3.1.6 and the compression around 85 to 90% is about 18 to 20 minutes using a 2.53 Ghz P-4 with 1024 MB RAM. Burn time with a Pioneer A-07 is 8 minutes at 8X, using Nero.

My biggest improvement came when I switched from 512 to 768MB by swapping one of my 256MB modules for a 512. Going up to 1024 didn't change things much but I don't worry about things that may be running in the background.
    Take a look at your performance with task manager while ripping. Note that your CPU should be up around 95 to 100% when using Shrink. Its running "full throttle."

That looks like a good deal for a fast ROM. I guess I'm gonna get one too!

Frank
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000[/small]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2004
  6. yellows

yellows Member

Hey thanks for the replys guys. I current rip a dvd in about 5-10 minutes with the pioneer 107 with the hacked firmware. I think I might add another 512 megs of RAM since you guys are noticing improvements with it. I just heared that windows doesn't use more than 512 so it would be useless. I also have a 16X DVD-Rom which I also use for ripping.

Thanks alot guys

7. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

depends on which version of windows you have. Earlier versions are between 1-1.5gb, and xp is 4gb(i think) of ram.