1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random Glitches In Videos

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by zombieman, Dec 26, 2003.

1. zombieman

zombieman Regular member

Heres the deal, I have burned over 105 dvd movies. I have used various types of software on all of them. I have recently started a log of what movies I ripped and repacked with what software to try and narrow the problem down. When playing a dvd which i have burned to dvd-r it plays Perfect without any problems at all. Then a month or so later when watching the same disk again, on the same exact standalone it slowly progressively starts having huge glitches throughout the move. It seems to get worse and worse the longer i watch it. I eject the disk, wipe it down, (although it is completly spotless) and replay it, then it plays good in the spots that it was messing up in earlier, and screws up in places that it wasnt earlier. I dont understand. I have watched some of these movies 4 or 5 times then suddenly it starts messing up like this! I even went out a bought a brand new dvd player thinking that that was the problem, and it wasnt, same exact thing. I have cleaned my dvd player and all to no avail. Anyone ever have this happen????????

Last edited: Dec 26, 2003
  2. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya zombieman,

been there, done that..

it comes down to one or more of FOUR things (assuming you have the authoring & burning side of the equation sorted)

[bold]1 - Media Quality,[/bold] cheapo/no-name/suspect disks invariably start to fail after a few months, especially towards the edge of the disk (occurence/frequency of errors/glitches increases as the movie progresses), sometimes a dye failure(dye breaking down & losing reflectivity etc), sometimes a layer seperation problem (where the reflective layer starts to flake away from lower layers (microscopically).
    [bold]2 - Drive/Disk Heating Up,[/bold] DVD-R have a considerably lower coefficient of reflectivity compared to silver (pressed) disks, this means the drive has to work harder to recover the information (multiple re-reads, error-correction etc), the fact that you can watch the movie is a testament to the efforts of the hardware designers.
    [bold]3 - Labels,[/bold] sticking any kind of label on the disk will increase the probability of failures later on, especially with the cheaper media (chemical reaction between the coating on the DVD - the reflective surface - and the adhesive used to affix the label)
    [bold]4 - Writing Speed,[/bold] writing at the rated speed of the media will give you a successful burn BUT the pit/land transitions are not as cleanly defined as when burned at a lower speed, increasing the probability of CORRECTABLE ERRORS.

Recommendations:
    For the copies you want to keep, buy the highest quality (big-name brand WITH warranty etc) disks you can get; use the cheapo disks for give-aways & short term storage.
    Modify your player/drive to increase airflow & thereby reduce the temperature the drive/disk is subject to.
    If you must use labels, buy good quality ones, apply them evenly & COLD, taking care not to stress the disk/label interface (better quality disks tend to be overprinted & can handle the stress of a label a lot better).
    Burn slower, if it is rated at 4x, burn at 2x, it invariably gives a cleaner burn.

These are only my results obtained over the last 3 years, Your Mileage May Vary(tm).....

Have Fun...

3. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I concur with drchips
    After 3 years of backing up (still using same Pioneer 104 burner) I have also ran across this problem very occasionally.

I now use [bold]Ritek G04 'Grade A' [/bold] blank media (reasonably priced DVD-R)
    I bought a Sony DVP-NS 305 stand alone that I knew played any format disc & also had good correction rate.
    NEVER put labels on (have mentioned that so0 many times in the aD forum , some ppl still choose to add them but of course that is their perogative).
    As in write speed , I use X4 Ritek G04 as mentioned but of course I can only burn at a maximum of X2 cos of m' olde worlde burner : )
    (I do think write speed is important in relation to media being used)

My twopennies worth !

4. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya Guys,

herbsman, I keep running into you on the threads, I like the advice you give out; bet you have been through the mill like me, had similar experience etc..

BTW herbsman, you sound as if you ae U.K. based, am I right?

After reading my last post, where I said:
    should be clarified...

Burn slower, e.g.
    drive==4x & media==4x, burn @ 2x:
    drive==4x & media==2x, burn @ 1x:

rule-of-thumb is burn at HALF the speed of the SLOWEST item.

A counsel of perfection, I know; but sometimes perfection has to be strived for and it COSTS!

Oh, another thing...

CD Printers - beware of cheap ink/cheap DVD-R combinations as the ink can react badly with the overprint on the disk - use with caution.

Allow a CONSIDERABLE number of hours to let the ink dry properly before handling the disk IN ANY WAY! (ink takes longer to dry on non-absorbant surfaces).

Have Fun..._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life is just more of the same:[/small]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2003
  5. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Yep , have striven to get top notch results ( IFOedit was first app used , gave up on that when Derrow stopped updating cos he had started work for 321 Studios on DVDxCopy rubbish - lol ).
    And also yes to UK question , down south bro : ]-~