1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.rar

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by BigStay, Dec 8, 2004.

1. BigStay

BigStay Member

I know what u can do with .iso files, but not .rar. I downloaded a .rar file and try to mount image, but i cant. What are u supposed to do with rar files?

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

RAR files are similar to zip files. You need a program like WinRAR to unzip them. Just another compression format.

Jerry

3. BigStay

BigStay Member

Well, I got that program, but after i unzip the files it gives me an error messege "the archive is either an unknown format or damaged"

4. Kingd

Kingd Guest

Yes, usually .rar are accompanies by .r01, .r02, files. It's usually something that has been compressed into several parts. I have on occassion recieved that error but was still able to unrar the files and there were no problems. Are you sure you have all the parts to the .rar file?

5. doc123

doc123 Member

I was also wondering about this, If you have a .rar file and severl .r(number) files all you need to do is extract the .rar file. and could you burn using decryptor using iso write?

6. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

^^^yup, as long as the file that was extracted from the rar's is an ISO.

7. doc123

doc123 Member

awesome thanks, i tried that befroe but it didn't work but then again i didn't really have a clue what i was doing. So i can jsut burn the iso? because the iso file seems to be another .rar file. like it says name.iso but looking at it in winrar u can extract again do i need to extract that then burn or jsut burn as is? Thanks again hopefully i don't sound too dumb

8. Kingd

Kingd Guest

doc123: No you don't sound dumb at all. There's a first time for everything. Unfortunately around here there are too many first timers. Anyway, burn the iso as an image burn, not as a regular file burn. You could extract it to a folder but that takes up hard drive space.

9. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

@doc123,
    the icon will be the same for a rar and an ISO, because winrar will be the default program for both file types. Using DVD Decrypter, select the ISO that you want to burn. If it allows you to select the file, and it doesn't say that the file is an unsupported file type, then you have a valid ISO and you can burn it.

10. diabolos

diabolos Guest

[bold]ExtractNow[/bold] is free, unlike winrar, and will decompress .rar files!

Link to ExtractNow homepage:
    http://www.extractnow.com/

Ced