1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ratDVD does not play in Media player 10

Discussion in 'ratDVD discussion, help and suggestions' started by robras43, Jun 5, 2005.

1. robras43

robras43 Guest

I have installed ratDVD. I'm running windows XP. I have windows media player 10 installed, Power DVD installed, Direct X 9.0 installed. When I try to play in media player the player searches for a codec to play the file. It cant find the codec so it only plays the audio. Any suggestions from anyone?

2. XIII2005

XIII2005 Member

Hi

Are you playing them back on the same pc that RatDVD is on ?

Because you have to have it installed on a pc even if you are only
    using it to play back on.

XIII2005

3. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

just out of curiosity ... what quality setting did you choose when you converted it?

When I converted at default (95) it would play. When I converted at highest (150) it would not play.

4. robras43

robras43 Guest

I'm trying to play it back on the same pc that I have ratDVD installed on. I even uninstalled and reinstalled ratDVD but still no good. It won't play on Power DVD either.

I converted at a setting of 120. I havn't tried the default setting yet.

5. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

yea ... try default.

so 120 and 150 settings don't work :)

6. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

I tried 100 and 150 on Res Evil 2. The 100 setting gave me an unwatchable movie and 150 gave me errors.

The one movie I did at 95 worked, but the quality is not impressive. I can't get any other player to play the file. So far only Media Player works.

7. jayz

jayz Member

8. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

I don't see it that way. According to their site you need "WinXP, DirectX9, Windows Media Player 10 and a DVD software player". PowerDVD, WinDVD, Roxio DVDMax, and Nero Showtime are all software DVD players. I think people had problems with ZoomPlayer and that's why it is mentioned in the FAQ's.

But I can tell you it doesn't work on the players I mention above. At least not for me. I wish it did.

9. milfzor

milfzor Member

i had problems with it on zoom player too....what i did to get around this, is installed the dvd codec that came with my ati video card, and boom....works fine now :) this may be of use to those of you with ati cards that have that particular codec handy...normally it will be on the install disc.

10. XIII2005

XIII2005 Member

From the RatDVD website

So if your trying to use zoom player without the dvd feature enabled
    it wont work.You also need the filters set up correctly as according
    to their website.

Theres a good reason these players aren't mentioned on the website,
    because they dont work with Ratdvd files !

XIII2005

11. jayz

jayz Member

@robtwilk

"I don't see it that way. According to their site you need "WinXP, DirectX9, Windows Media Player 10 and a DVD software player". PowerDVD, WinDVD, Roxio DVDMax, and Nero Showtime are all software DVD players. I think people had problems with ZoomPlayer and that's why it is mentioned in the FAQ's."

Windows Media Player 10 is also a software DVD player. Trust me it is does work, so there must be something wrong with your system.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2005
  12. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

@jayz

I see now that I was not clear in my response - Windows Media Player works perfectly (as Media Player goes). I was speaking of the other players like PowerDVD, WinDVD, Nero, etc. Since the ratDVD site mentions "a software DVD player", I assumed any decent version should work. This is not the case for me and apparently for everyone else, so the subject is closed for me.

I would argue with you that my computer works just fine, but I might be stretching the truth. It works as well as can be expected - minor glitches and all.

How good is Zoom Player? Does the standard version do everything one would need - or does it pay to pay for the advanced version?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  13. arisia

arisia Member

From the updated ratdvd.dk faq from today:

14. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

Sounds like something to check out tomorrow - thanks for the update!!

15. jaehomo

jaehomo Regular member

I've got all requirements but i can't play a .ratdvd file with mediaplayer 10, the screen stays black. With the ratdvd programm I can open the file.

16. awlchu

awlchu Member

I also cannot get media player 10 to play ratdvd files by double clicking on the (ratDVD) file. Crashes almost immediately...

...however, I found it will play the file just fine by starting media player 10 first and then drag and drop the ratDVD onto it. Plays it everytime.

....Unsure why this works but this is how I can view the output ratDVD file on my XP SP1 machine,

awlchu

PS ratDVD is a great app! As a parent of two boys that think throwing DVDs like frisbies is fun......

17. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

Might be a resource issue - trying to launch Media Player 10 while dealing with the rat file. If you already have Media Player open, then it is only dealing with the file. Just a thought.

I get errors with the really big files sometimes, but it usually plays anyway.

18. cacabuda

cacabuda Member

hello

i'm sorry i really can't play my .ratDVD file using Windows Media Player 10 or other software.
    I don't know why, the processing of encoding DVD to .ratDVD seems to have worked without errors.
    Other Ideas?

19. cacabuda

cacabuda Member

I'm just adding that i used the default values of ratDVD.

20. ccarp

ccarp Member

I seem to be having the same problem, where I have no issues encoding the DVD, in this case "My Incredibles", and I can see the video playing back in ratDVD if I open the file as if I was about to convert back to DVD.

I have tried many different players, including WMP10, and I get the error where it crashes with this message:
    AppName: wmplayer.exe AppVer: 10.0.0.3646 ModName: ffdshow.ax
    ModVer: 1.0.2.3 Offset: 001207db

Any ideas anyone?