1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ratdvd from Europe - convert PAL to NTSC?

Discussion in 'ratDVD discussion, help and suggestions' started by maureens, Aug 2, 2007.

1. maureens

maureens Member

If I have a ratdvd file that I suspect is in PAL is there a way to convert it to NTSC? Would I have to uncompress the ratdvd file with the ratdvd program and then convert the files to NTSC with some other program before I try to burn it onto DVD?

I have several of these files from Europe (which is why I think they are in PAL) and I would like to be able to burn them onto DVD to watch in a stand alone DVD player here in the US.

The files also contain subtitles and I have read some posts where it seems to be tricky preserving the subtitles when you convert from PAL to NTSC.

I figured I would ask here first before I create more coasters from my DVDrs!

2. Finnius

Finnius Member

try 'convertxtodvd'

3. WULFSTAN6

WULFSTAN6 Member

try coverting back to dvd with rat dvd
    then use the new dvd with nero to make
    a ntsc dvd, because if it is in pal
    nero will give you the option to keep
    it that way or change it to ntsc.

4. Finnius

Finnius Member

Does it? I know for sure that Nero 7 Ultimate did not do conversion. I do have 8 Ultimate, but haven't tried it with that one yet...

5. SeanD99

SeanD99 Member

I am in europe and wanted to convert some PAL DVDs to NTSC to send to a mate in the states, but it proved quite difficult. Even bought some video-editing software which said on the box 'NTSC<>PAL' and when loaded up said nothing about such a conversion, neither did the manual. Luckily the store took the software back and I simply ordered my friend a 40 dollar dvd player from amazon.com which played PAL. Cheaper than the software, end of problem. I just checked and they have some 'Used & New' from 26 dollars.

6. Finnius

Finnius Member

go get 'convertxtodvd' by vso. They are online. The program will convert pal to ntsc (or vis-versa). Also preserves subtitle tracks, original menus...and will even compress a dual layer movie to single layer...all at the same time.