1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rate my receiver: Yamaha RV-701

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by wangho75, Apr 20, 2005.

1. wangho75

wangho75 Member

yep, it's about 10 years old and doesnt support DTS (supports Dolby Pro-Logic) but to me it sounds pretty damn good with 4 speakers (no sub support!) How does this unit compare with more recent models/receivers? I think I like the Yamaha brand, but im not sure. Someone with experience with this unit would be preferrable. Thanks

2. a-vman

a-vman Member

The unit is fine for music or watching movies with a VCR. If you are watching DVD or Digital stellite you are missing a lot of sound. Most people I upgrade to digital are simply astounded by the difference. Dolby Pro-Logic sends the same sound to both rear speakers so you have no right or left surround channels. With a digital unit and the right video source hooked up with the right cable you get seperate surround channels. Take that and add the sub-out feature and clean digital processing and you have a surround sound feild that will put you in the movies.
    The Yamaha brand is fine. They have units to fit every budjet. You should also look at the Denon and Integra(high end Onkyo)lines. Either way you'll be happy with the digital upgrade.

3. wangho75

wangho75 Member

I'm a cheapskate, so do you know the best bang for the buck with receivers? I don't need lots of bells and whistles, just a box with high quality sound and seperation that supports DTS

4. a-vman

a-vman Member

My choice would be one of these depending on your budjet.
    Denon AVR1905 $ 499 retail 80 watts per ch.
    Denon AVR2105 $ 649 retail 90 watts per ch.
    Denon AVR2805 $ 899 retail 100 watts per ch.

But in my opinion almost any name brand unit that is digital will suprise you when watching movies. Sony, Pioneer, and Yamaha have some consumer grade units that are decent and start below $ 200.

5. Razz1234

Razz1234 Guest

I haven't had good experiences with pioneer and sony (especially at the lower end), but yamaha will keep you smiling.

Hey [bold]a-vman[/bold],
    Do you like the Denon 1705?

Either way [bold]wangho75[/bold], you're going to be so freakin impressed when you hook up a new reciever with a digital input and finally listen to your system in Dolbly Digital or DTS. You can do it with only 4 speakers too. Just go without a center channel and tell the reciever you don't have one. It will send the center channel dialog to the front mains and will compensate for it. It will still sound sweet, and it will [bold]totally[/bold] blow away your old reciever!

The next thing you should do is look for a decent sub.... this will also have a [bold]HUGE[/bold] impact on your system and listening pleasure......keep us informed!

By the way [bold]wangho75[/bold], what is your budget for the reciever?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2005
  6. wangho75

wangho75 Member

I'd like to keep it around $300

7. a-vman

a-vman Member

Hey Razz
    I don't use the 1705 much because we do a lot of distributed audio. The first place that people ask for additional speakers is on the porch, so we use the 2 assignable amps for that(we normally do 5.1 in a living room environment). We do use the 1705 if we have a kids playroom with a small system for games and movies. It has good sound as do all Denon peices.

8. jetyi83

jetyi83 Regular member

edit

Last edited: Dec 11, 2005