1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RATINGS FOR MEMBERS

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by tripplite, Apr 25, 2007.

1. tripplite

tripplite Guest

on the site [removed] members have +/- karma, if they respond well to a question or make a usfull guide then they get + karma, if they say a bad word or misgive information they get a -karma, all the members on the site can make 1 karma per hour (limiting abuse)I know we are ranked on after dawn by how many comments you make but i think we should have ratings so people who deserve respect get it, it would also allow members to know what there rated high in (section of site)!!

what do guy's think??

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2007
  2. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Nah.. it gets abused.

3. rav009

rav009 Active member

I hate the karma system, people just give it to there friends. Its always the chatters who have the highest karma, not the helpers.

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

karma has been suggested and dismissed several times here. the overall level of member maturity is far too low to put that level of trust in them.

5. janrocks

janrocks Guest

I just thought to check that site name...... Oh dear, it's a piracy site...

Those in the know will know how to find the hidden link.

[edit..break link]

6. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

hmmm....time to report, jan? ^.~

7. rav009

rav009 Active member

From looking at the forums on that site, yep time to report I think.

8. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Done.. ;-)

9. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Link removed.

10. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

In the past I have been favoring the idea of implementing "karma" to the forums, but as I have lately chatted with some of my fellow webmasters and also observed some of the forums I visit that have opted for the system, I'm somewhat disappointed to "karma" system as well. It might be that sometime in the future we roll back to the original way of not showing any titles whatsoever, other than the Moderator & above (no post counts, no joined dates, nada, zip, nothing). Or maybe we'll set up a $20/mo option to get whatever you want to show as your title ;-)

11. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

make it $10 a year and you got a deal on that one, drd. ^.~

12. rav009

rav009 Active member

I really like the current system to be honest. Custom user titles can be fun too for about 10 minutes :p

13. xyqo

xyqo Regular member

I think we've all found that titles count for almost nothing in most forums. Unless they are hand picked (which is impossible once your membership gets past 100) then there's no real way of rating a persons usefulness to the forum, save for the rep they have with long time users.

Bad Karma

14. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Pretty please? My birthday's in one month's time ;)

15. snaggs

snaggs Guest

that would be a nice systematic way of determining who the avid members could deem as a moron, ....of course...thats a broad assumption to make,
    but again...who would moderate the information..?? although, some post's may appear absolutely moronic to some, when in fact..the view, or post of some may be just a few steps beyond the obvious to others..??
    or, Linux issues, or language issues, C+,C++,Pascal, or, 3D ... how do you moderate Knowledge ..?? unless your God

16. tripplite

tripplite Guest

well abuse is hard i think, if you made so a user could only plus or minus a member every day, and give a total of 5 out a day (to 5 different members) then unless the person just sits on his computer the whole day and clicks refresh for like 3 hours then i don't possibley see how it could be abused.
    (if you wan breaks janrocks link to see the site we are reffering to then just paste it into word and right click and chose "toggle field codes")

17. janrocks

janrocks Guest

So then tripplite.. you pi55ed me off.. I have around 150 people I talk to here on a regular basis.. 5 per day times 150.. all minus.. They get friends I don't deal with to support it too.. say 5 each, some will cross over or not vote.. so we say 2 per member..

That's 150 x 5 =750
    and 2 x 150 x 5 =1500

Total 2250 negative karma votes in just one day....

If you can only vote once per person it's still 450 and up..

There are probably other people who I don't know at all who would just agree that whatever you had done to annoy me was worthy of some negative votes too...... You get my point about abuse?

And if you do your little word trick you get a nice message from me. I broke the link as soon as the moderator magic happened. It's against the rules to link to those kind of sites.

18. Altercuno

Altercuno Regular member

How about nobody having a title, as you say, except mods & above plus one extra group consisting of tech people who had titles so people knew who they were. No idea how they would be selected though...

19. rav009

rav009 Active member

Well, its really only the title system we have or no titles at all. Admins will pull their hair out hand-picking users for special titles etc, so that's out. I like the current system really, its pretty much perfect IMO.

20. tripplite

tripplite Guest

TO: janrocks AND OTHERS
    IT'S KINDA hard to organize a larger negative karma attack on a person, alot people on this site log on once a week, if you did tell some one to -karma a person then they most likely would ignore you, just (the site i am making an example of is underlined in a comment by janrock at the top of the page, copy paste it into word, highlight it and then right click it and chose the option toggle fields) once you see the site it's quite simple, go to the forums and you'll see no one really cares enough to go crazy on the plus and - karma, and if some one does a moderator can fix it, simple