1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raw Dump 2.0 question

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by A4play, Apr 26, 2007.

1. A4play

A4play Member

Hello Nebie Question,

I've read all the instructions to back up a wii game. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/471073

I have the correct LG drive(Model GDR-8164BB) & external case to use since I have a laptop
    I have a modded wii (wiikey)

When I go into raw dump 2.0 to back up a game it doesn't allow me to select the LG drive it just defaults to the pre installed dvd drive. How do I got about changing the drive raw dump looks for?

Thanks,
    ~Brad

2. Thinone

Thinone Regular member

i am not 100% sure of this but i think i read somewhere that the drive had to be plugged into the motherboard for it to work not through usb

not definite that tho

3. A4play

A4play Member

I'm able to find the drive when i stick a regular DVD into the LG drive. When i swap it out for zelda or any other game Raw Dump 2.0 starts to read the disc then returns the error you might have a faulty drive. I'm able to watch dvd's with no problem on this drive.

4. Fatslag

Fatslag Member

I have the same drive and use a laptop same as you do and plug the LG drive into a USB2 port. i find that if the drive is plugged in before i boot the laptop Rawdump 2 read it ok. if i plug the drive in after the laptop boots it reads my default drive only. This only applies to Rawdump 2 as the laptop reads the drive even if i plug it in after i boot

5. A4play

A4play Member

Fatslag,

Thanks for the tip. I plugged in the LG drive then rebooted the computer. Raw Dump reads the LG drive now, but when I hit start dump it comes back with the same error "you might have a faulty drive"

I was able to back up my wii sports game with this drive but when I just tried Super Paper Mario it doesn't seem to like me.

The thing that doesn't make any sense to me is why am I able to do it sometime but 90% of the time I get the error "you might have a faulty drive"

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

6. Thinone

Thinone Regular member

the only answer i have seen to this is "clean the disc" not sure on its effectiveness though

7. Zmiller

Zmiller Member

I'm having the exact same problem... any new updates on how to fix the problem?

8. JackSpara

JackSpara Member

ok guys,i spent forever trying to get my drive to work and i figured out a way that works everytime.

im using the gdr-8164b in an external enclosure which is connected to my laptop via usb

start with rawdump closed

1) turn on your dvd drive using the switch on the back, eject the tray and place ur disk in the tray, DONT CLOSE THE TRAY!

2)turn the drive off using he switch on the back.

3) turn the drive back on! the tray will try to close but DONT LET IT! press the eject button as its closing to keep it open

4)start rawdump and it should recognize the drive now!!!YAY! PROBLEM 1 SOLVED!

5)then press "start dump"

6)then close the tray immediately after pressing the button!

7) WATCH IT RIP!

this solved my problem and i hope it solved yours. i used to get the "you might have a faulty drive" and sometimes it didnt recognize the drive. but this method works!!!!

9. themossie

themossie Member

i have problems dumping rayman Raving rabbid 2 other game dumps are ok what can be wrong