1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RAZR v3m - mp3 ringtones possible help???

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by Lord_P, Jun 20, 2006.

1. mayron

mayron Member

Look at the post just above yours. It worked for me. My wife's Verizon V3m was ordered 2/4/08 and delivered a few days later, so the software's probably the same.

I used a mini-USB cable that came with a digital camera. I bought a 1Gig MicroSD with a full size SD adapter dirt cheap. Look online or from Fry's if they have one in your area. The card is not absolutely necessary to the ringtones, but you'll want one anyway, trust me. Use the software EXACTLY as stated, then knock yourself out transferring custom ringtones.

2. niceum

niceum Member

So, it is imposibble to have the sound I recorded as my default ring?

I have no idea what the person above my last post is saying.
    I have a phone. That's it. Oh, and a charger for the wall outlet.
    I don't know anything about computer programs for it.
    All I want is the damn theme I recorded off the TV with my phone, under MY SOUNDS, to be my default ringer.
    I don't want MP3s on my phone. I don't want any other ringers.
    I want that one ring - b/c all Verizon's default rings are annoying - and then I will use my phone as a phone to make phone calls.

So, back to my original question, it's impossible?
    Oh, and I would just go buy a ringtone, but my V3M doesn't allow me to 1. Text the sound I recorded to myself or 2. Go add applications.
    Apparently I have no service here, though I can talk all day on my phone, no problem.

3. mayron

mayron Member

It WAS possible under earlier Verizon software to email a sound and save it as a ringtone (your10digitphone#@vzwpix.com) but that capability has been removed on the latest software for the RAZR V3m.

It WAS possible to use a MicroSD/Transflash card and exchange a recorded sound to a ringtone by jumping through a few hoops (and not renaming the file) but not anymore.

To get a homemade sound to a ringtone now, you'll need a USB cable, the software mentioned in the "how to" instructions above, and quite a bit of patience. If you're willing to do that, it's possible. If you're not willing to do that, it's NOT possible.

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

You have to understand that Verizon wants you to pay for all these extra services and downloads, so they block the phone as much as possible. The seem edits are the best way to fix these problems and along with Motorola Phone tools software you can do anything you want to the phone after that. I have a good deal of knowledge on PCs and electronics but never messed with phones until I purchased 4 Razors last May. It was a learning process for me but works great. Just follow the seem edit instructions to the letter and it will work. You will be able to make your own ring tones, load complete songs and transfer pics and flixs easily with a USB cable. I loaded 2 complete movies into my phone just to see if it works. Its not worth watching on a screen that size but it does work. Thats on a 1 gig card I installed.

Jerry

5. laxfan75

laxfan75 Member

the thing is that i tried this, but when i got the file back onto my phone it wouldnt give me the option to set as ringtone.

i think i figured out why. whenevr a file goes from the card to the phone, it is disabled for ringtones. i dont know why, but it does. First, i rcorded a regular soundbyte, me saying that i am pissed off. I had the option to set that as my ringtone. Then, i sent it to my card, then sent it back to the phone. When it got back to the phone, the ringtone option went away. How do I prevent this?

PS- im broke and desperate, please help

6. reese8220

reese8220 Member

i tried doing all the steps and when i go to look for the ringtone under get tunes and tones the recording file isnt there anymore. where am i going wrong?

7. Epik151

Epik151 Member

Thanks Jerry746, I never got into doing SEEM edits but that wasn't so bad.

Jerry's guide is on Page 9 for those of you who happen to see this post first.

8. quagmire2

quagmire2 Member

I received my Verizon v3m this week. I can record a sound on the phone using the recorder function, but I cannot use the recorded sound as a ringtone. I can play it, but it does not show up in the list of ringtones. I tried various ways of recording a file, moving it to the card and then replacing the file with an MP3 file and moving it back to the phone. The phone still does not see it as a ringtone, but I can play it on the phone as an audio file. I looked at the phone's settings in an editor and the USB file transfer is already enabled. I cannot transfer anything either way with a USB cable except for my contacts. I can transfer music files and pictures by using the flash card. My software version is 24.1_01.19.07.

9. lonewulf9

lonewulf9 Member

Wow, do I hate verizon right about now. I had an LG vx8300, awesome phone. Could send pix messages with audio to it and save them as ringtones. I had all my contacts set with different specific ringtones and different ringtones set individually for text messages, pix messages, and voicemail alerts. I had a ton of content on there.

Bought the Razr v3m the other day as my LG wouldn't charge anymore and my new every two was up and I didn't want to spend much on a new phone.

This thing just plain blows. I have done everything in this thread, I have used PST programmer and P2k Commander and I CAN successfully get files copied into my Music & Tones/My Ringtones folder (A.K.A in P2k the P2k:/a/motorola/shared/ringtone/ folder).

So the tones are all in my ringtone area on the phone (mine and the ones that came with it together in the same list) and I can play them and hear them just fine. The damn phone won't let me set them to stuff. If I go into settings & tools/sound settings/call sounds/call ringtone even though they are on the list of tones I can pick from, the phone still won't set them. Like if you pick one that was already in there when the phone was bought and press okay it gives you a little box that states "call ringtone set", but when I pick one of the ones that I put on there myself and press okay it just goes back to the settings & tools/sound settings/call sounds/call ringtone area and won't "Call ringtone set".

Arrghh. Could they low jack a phone anymore!? Am I missing some really easy step that allows my phone to let them be set once they are on the list? If not, is there a way to rollback a software version on the phone to a version that has things enabled, or would I end up having an unusable phone that I have to bring back and they'd know I hacked it?

I bought this thing 4/3/08 (Browser version openwave 6.2.3) (software version 24.1_01.19.07)

Also, I have tried many different formats of sound, I have copied over mp3s, aac files and wave files

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  10. Shikaku

Shikaku Member

Hey guys, quick question. I've done the seem editing and I can transfer mp3 through MPT to my v3m. But is there a way to transfer the mp3s directly to the micro sd card on the phone and use them as ringtones? From what I can find MPT will only send them right onto the phone and lets face it, 41 MB of total space is crap. I have used P2K Commander to put the mp3s onto the card but I can't set them as ringtones. I even tried changing their extension to .qcp and still nothing. Is there a proper way to do this or am I just dreaming?

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  11. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Its been over a year since I set my phone up, but if I remember right the ringtone can only be in the proper folder in the phone memory. You can't store ringtones on the sd card and use them from there. At least I think thats how it works.

Jerry

12. Shikaku

Shikaku Member

If you use the one method where you record a new soundbyte, and copy the name and extension to the mp3. It can work that way. You just need to have the soundbyte be recorded right to the card. I was using that method before I found MPT. I just didn't know if anybody has found a better way to do it yet

13. datboytaz

datboytaz Member

how do I do this for a Sprint Razr V3m? I cant do anyhting like whats described