1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RB & CCE Quality qustion

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by tebugg, Jun 2, 2007.

1. tebugg

tebugg Member

hi guys, i'm new to the forum. had a question about CCE. i have RB-Pro with CCE SP 2.70. i notice in other encoders there is like a high quality mode, or a matrix option for better quality. but in CCE SP settings there's only advance settings with spec and passes. but CCE is the best quality of them all. why is that even tho the others have an actual high quality setting?

2. tebugg

tebugg Member

so i take it noone has any insight to my question?

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

you can increase the number of passes when using RB Pro and CCE SP. I increase the number of passes to 3 when my sorce folder is 6.8gb or larger. 2 passes for anything smaller. it's been tried and discussed over and over again whether or not there is any quality improvement with more than three passes and most including myself have concluded there is none or very little improvement.

some feel that procoder 2 provides better video quality and some feel HC by Hanks does. they are both slower than CCE and I prefer CCE's quality anyway.

4. tebugg

tebugg Member

thank u for your reply mort. :) but my question was, how does CCE get such good quality, even tho it has way less settings options than the other encoders? it doesnt even have a high quality setting.

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

it doesn't need different quality settings. it's high quality by default. :) like I said you can improve the quality a little on large sorce folders by increasing the number of passes but I would not go more than 3 as the improvement vs time is not justifiable

6. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

i agree with Mort,

i have tried doing it with more than 3 passes and i didn't see any difference in the quality so i have mine set a 3 passes too.

7. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I believe that the CCE manual also lists 3 passes as the maximum worth bothering with.

As to the original question of why there aren't any quality settings, there are no universal settings for better quality. It depends on the source. Presumably you want the best quality possible every time, and since that depends on bitrate (determined by space requirements) and matching properties of the input video to encoder settings (done automatically by DVD-RB) there aren't many other settings that make a difference. DVD-RB allows you to change the VBR bias (how much variance the bitrate can have) and Quality_Prec (bitrate allocated to flat surfaces) settings. The default settings are pretty close to as good as you can get if you're going to use a single setting for every movie, so unless you have a specific need that will be addressed by changing something it's best to leave them alone.

8. tebugg

tebugg Member

thanks vurbal that answered my question. thanks to others also that gave input.