1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re-authoring and compression ratio settings

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Grampaw, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Grampaw

Grampaw Regular member

I've got a somewhat technical question.

I have two ISO images (think of a Flipper type DVD) that I am pulling various titles from. I know how to do the re-authoring bit, you know where you end up with the titles 1, 2, 1(2), 2(2), etc. in the left pane - that's all very intuitive.

My question is in the compression ratios. I notice each title usually has vastly different automatically determined ratios - such as 20% for one and maybe 90% for another. The adjustment ranges using custom ratio for option for each titles is limited, such as 20% to 30% for the title automatically at 20% and 70% to 90% for the title automatically at 90%. I can't really adjust the title ratios such that they are all relatively equal - the adjustment ranges are just too limited.

Of course Shrink has the overall compression ratio for all the title such that everything fits on one DVD-5. My concern is that some titles on this DVD will have vastly better resolution than others. Actually, I haven't noticed any resolution problems yet, but then I'm not very particular either.

So, what I've been doing to solve this potential problem is: first, selecting the compression ratio for each title; then setting it at no compression; and finally creating an ISO image (usually around 8 or 8 GBs) to store on the hard drive. I then open this new ISO image with Shrink, and presto, all the titles are shown automatically balanced at a common compression ratio. I then burn the DVD from this iteration of Shrink (I use ISO image and Decryptor).

I wondering if there is a simpler way - some step I'm missing when using Shrink. I've checked the MBrass guides and the Shrink site guides without any success - those guides don't go into that much detail.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Howdy Granpaw,

Although the compression ratios are different I honestly don't think you can tell the difference as long as you use Deep Analysis and Quality Enhancements. To check it out, burn your files to disc in an ISO image, grab a "cold one" and enjoy.

When doing "flippers", I like using recode2 to re-author and trim the 1/2's so that they will join as perfectly as possible THEN I take each one seperatly and run them through DVD Shrink as stated above then I use DVD2One in the seamless join mode and "presto" Goodfellows are on a single-side of 1 disc. It takes a little longer but the quality is worth it. God bless that Deep Analysis and Quality Enhancements on DVD Shrink -

Cheers,

Pete

3. Grampaw

Grampaw Regular member

ScubaPete,

You're the Man!! Thanks for the tips...

1. I do use Deep Analysis regularly

2. Never thought about using Quality Enhancements - have to check out how to use these options.

3. I've used Nero Recode2 many a time, and you are right, you can trim the titles a little finer with Recode2 than Shrink.

4. Never knew DVD2ONE had a seamless join mode - guess I'll have to add DVD2ONE to my DVD software arsenal.

Thanks again for the tips - I'm not into beer much, more of a wineo. Matter of fact I store my burned DVDs in my wine cellar.

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Well there Grandpaw, I'll tell ypou how much of a friend I am - If you ever need to make more room for your DVD collection, I will gladly volunteer to help you make that room :)

Glad I could help,

Pete