1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re-authoring AND Keeping Menus in DVDShrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by DogBomb, Jan 7, 2005.

1. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I know there's a warning that says the menus will not work, but has anyone tried this? Just keeping the menus and main movie, and dumping the extras? Assuming all the extras are in the last VOBs, shouldn't the menus still be functional (scene selections only)? Is the disclaimer just so that people won't whine if it works for some movies and not for others?

2. sakmd

sakmd Member

good question....i've acutally wondered about this as well. i have yet to try it to see if the menus are indeed affected.

i have tried clonedvd 2 (after using decrypter to rip the files) to throw out stuff like trailers, etc while preserving menus, and it works very well. i just downloaded a trial of clonedvd 2 (trial period is 21 days) though w/ clonedvd you don't have all the options like deep analysis, quality settings, etc. if shrink does take away functionality of menus then there may be another way. i'm kind of new to all of this, and haven't tried it, but what i was thinking was use shrink to create an iso file (so you can compress and use the quality settings, etc) and then open the iso file in clonedvd and take out what you want while preserving menus. again, i haven't tried this yet, but seems like it might work? i'll try it out on my next project.

3. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

Why not just use the insert still image feature? If you select something on the menu that you've replaced, it'll take you to the image you inserted.

Here's a place to get some good title replacements from....
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/title_replacements.php

4. larrylje

larrylje Active member

There was actually a post on the other day of a guy that re-authored the menus and movie and extras. The result was what i told him that would be. It will play the menus one after the other and then the movie and then the extras. Just like a redular movie. Its just copying the menu clips and adding them 1 after the other so you only have 1 contuies DVD. which you can only fast forword thru or rewind.

5. lyberty

lyberty Member

So I'm just curious:
    why can't you just remove, say, one or two of the VOB files, then burn everything that's left over?

I'm speaking of the following scenario: use a program (like DVD Decrypter) to do an exact copy to your Hard Drive. So you then have a folder that contains the VIDEO_TS folder and all of the VOB IFO BUP files. Then delete a single VOB file. Then use another program, say, Nero, to make a DVD with the files left over. What would happen? Would the menu be broken? Would the DVD be playable?

What's a free alternative way to re-author (if you don't want to re-encode any of the video) instead of using DVDReMake ?

zippyd: you indicated that you can use DVD Shrink to just replace a "title" (by which I think they mean a VOB?) with a still image... Why (technically) is this necessary?
    Can DVDShrink be used to just remove some elements and rework the menu without doing any re-encoding (i.e. zero compression)?
    [Update: actually, I see from the "full disk backup" demo , http://www.dvdshrink.info/fulldisk_basic.php , that you can choose "no compression", but am I correct in thinking that if you use DVD Shrink to re-author (i.e. remove elements), you're always going to lose the menu? ]
    Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2005
  6. larrylje

larrylje Active member

It is necesary to keep the integrety of the maping of the DVD. Of where the DVD next goes after hitting a particler menu. If the DVD tries to go somwhere and the file isnt there it will just freeze cause it has nothing to go to. if a still image is in place then it will go to that image. then it will go to the next file its supost to cause it at least has a file to go to.

7. lyberty

lyberty Member

Ok, so it's necessary for the integrity of the DVD. So why does DVD Shrink make the menu not work? There must be some way to replace a VOB with an dummy file (like an image) and still have a functioning DVD menu, yes?

If the playback freezes, as you describe, can you just hit the menu button and pick the next chapter?

8. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I if you want the menus to work and you want the most out of the movie, open up DVD Shrink do a full disc backup. bring the Menus and Extras down to the lowest compression which will raise the quility of the movie file. Take out subpictures and other sound tracks that arnt necesary to keep. Check and see if there is two movies on the disc. If there is 2 movies choose what format you want widescreen or fullscreen and replace the one you dont want with an image file. that simple. Other wise dont ask well can we do this or that. if you dont like others sugestions on what to do then experoment with your own disc and see what happens if you take files out and replace with dummy files.

9. lyberty

lyberty Member

Why do you have the impression that I don't like suggestions? I'm looking for suggestions!
    I appreciate your suggestions.
    But I was just looking for some more details on how it works (behind the scenes, so to speak).
    So you recommend that we only try to do things ourselves, and that we don't use this forum to discuss options ahead of time?
    Aren't you curious about _why_ software works the way it does?

10. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Yes im curious about how things work and if I get curious I experiment with doing things difernt. I dont just ask and ask and let other poeple do it. I try to contribute. At least i try :)

11. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

larrylje wrote: "It will play the menus one after the other and then the movie and then the extras"

That somewhat makes sense. When authoring a DVD from scratch, menus are just movie clips that continously loop. It was just a thought.

12. larrylje

larrylje Active member

its all good DogBomb I just posted an answer to your question. Hope it was helpfull.