1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RE: Bricking my Wii...?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by lukemulde, May 24, 2007.

1. lukemulde

lukemulde Member

I just got a Wii, the LG DVD Drive and a Wiikey. I have been reading heaps about consoles getting bricked by SPM.

If I only play games within my region (PAL) will I ever have to worry about my console getting bricked?

2. lukemulde

lukemulde Member

Also, would a game with a console update on it (eg. SPM when its finally released in PAL land) brick the console?

3. ghaleon

ghaleon Member

So far, what I've seen of the list (bear in mind, I'm no expert), is that it looks like you need to be wary of any NTSC game that carries an update. Super Paper Mario carries the firmware update to 2.2U, which is different than 2.2E. If you already have 2.2E, your supposedly alright.

Still, I think the only risks you need to be wary of are games that carry updates, and even then, if you have the equivilent PAL update, its supposedly fine.

4. lukemulde

lukemulde Member

Any way of getting the update without going online?

5. ghaleon

ghaleon Member

Not to my knowledge. The only way to update a Wii that I'm aware of is Wiiconnect24, since Nintendo would die before they told people to burn an update CD, and no one seems to have modified wii firmware yet.

6. lukemulde

lukemulde Member

Ok. NTSC SPM is only bricking PAL Wii's though, right? NTSC Wii's are fine?

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  7. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Any PAL/NTSC(U)/NTSC(J) can be bricked if you play an out of region game disc on your Wii and the Game Disc updates your Wii with the wrong firmware. (Keep your firmware up to date on the Wii)

Below is a guide to follow when playing a Game Disc that has a firmware update on it.

NTSC(U) Game + NTSC(U) Wii = No chance of a brick
    PAL Game + PAL Wii = No chance of a brick
    NTSC(J) Game + NTSC(J) Wii = No chance of a brick

NTSC(U) Game + PAL/NTSC(J) Wii = Brick is possible if Wii is not updated with latest firmware.

PAL Game + NTSC(U)/NTSC(J) Wii = Brick is possible if Wii is not updated with latest firmware.

NTSC(J) Game + PAL/NTSC(U) Wii = Brick is possible if Wii is not updated with latest firmware.

The safest way to play your Wii without a possible brick is to play Game Disc that are the same region as your Wii system.

If you do enable the Region Free option on your Modchip then make sure your Wii is updated with the latest firmware available from Nintendo (At this time 2.2 is the latest firmware)

This subject is almost discussed every single day on this forum. A search of the site would have answered all these questions.

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  8. lukemulde

lukemulde Member

Thanks, very helpful!

9. Hert13

Hert13 Member

When your wii is bricked, does it mean it's totally screwed and will never work again?
    (I've been reading this forum for 1/2 hour and still can't find the answer!)

10. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

yes but then we wouldn't get to see the psycho ninja diehard WiiD fanboy picture! I knew when I read the first post that the ninja would be pokin his head into this thread. I can die a happy man now.

11. larrylje

larrylje Active member

You must not be looking that hard because it is in multiple threads in this forum.

12. Hert13

Hert13 Member

Thanks for taking the time to answer!

13. zarwen

zarwen Member

My Wii is Pal and just wanted to know if i play a Wii Pal backup which updates firmware, will it update my console or will it brick my Wii because its a backup and might be a bit dodgey

14. DraTs

DraTs Regular member

You two need to use the search function.. before you make a thread asking where the search link is, its in the upper portion of the page. If you cant find anything, use the classic search instead.

15. larrylje

larrylje Active member

zarwen doesn't/t even have to search the answer for his question is right on the page if they would just read.

16. rgassman

rgassman Member

What is "Bricking" the wii. I am new to all this and the lingo is killing me

17. Leech83

Leech83 Member

@zarwen (Newbie) 25. May 2007 @ 20:47
    Please use the search feature for future reference, ALSO, as larrylje stated, your answer to the question is on this very thread. You should at least read a few posts from the thread that has a question corresponding to yours.

@rgassman (Newbie) 30. May 2007 @ 09:30
    hello, again, please use the search, and the answer to a simple question as this could of easily be figured out from simple using Google

But as i do not like to leave meaningless posts, here you go.

Brick or Bricked is the slang term for an electronic device which cannot function (or has been rendered useless by damaged firmware). This comes from the fact that the device in question can be considered only as useful as a brick, and little else.

To all new users, please use the search functions provided by the website and read forum rules (linked below).

Forum Rules

:)

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  18. genner

genner Member

So following this useful chart, as long as you have the updated firmware say from Wiiconnect24, then you can run a ntsc(j) game on a ntsc(us) wii and be fine and risk no chance of it being bricked?