1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re-Encode XViD with AC3

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by AeroPeek, Mar 13, 2005.

1. AeroPeek

AeroPeek Member

Hello,

I have an avi file that is encoded with the XViD codec and the sound is in AC3 format.
    What i want to do is to add built in subtitles. I tried that with VirtualDubMOD but when the encode task was finished, I've tried to play the output flle but the audio was delaied in few ms.
    I checked the "Direct Stream Copy" option in the stream list for the AC3 audio, and did exactly the same configuration as i usually do in the XViD config screen, also, I havn't touched the delay option.
    If the file has a MP3 audio, the output will be well.

Any ideas?
    THANKS! :)

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Maybe installing good AC3 codec packs (like AC3 ACM..)?

3. AeroPeek

AeroPeek Member

I don't use any codec pack, only the original codecs are installed on my PC.
    I'm not the only one who encounter this problem, a friend of mine tried to do the same process on his machine (which has the Kazaa codec pack installed) and he told me that he encountred the same problem as I did.
    I've tried the AC3 supported version of VirtualDub, and also NanDub, but both of them do not handle this problem. I thought maybe if I would have been seperatating the audio from the video, encoding the video, and multiplexing the AC3 file with the encoded file, this may resolve the problem, but it doesn't... maybe when I multiplex the AC3 with the video I need to set a delay of 165ms or 128ms? like when you should do when you are ripping a DVD...?

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Sotty, I can't be of any help (but I've seen that every VOB has a different delay, in ms, so I never add a counter-delay). The audio delay usually happens only if the audio of the original AVI was badly encoded (warning by VirtualDub. In this case, extractr the sound as WAV and re-compress it. But this never heppened to me with AC3 AVIs).
    The only suggestion is: if you cannot handle AC3 audio, simply convert AC3 --> MP2 for SVCD with BeSweet (+ its GUI) and add it later to the movie with VirtualDubMod.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  5. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Try using NanDub instead - it is much friendlier for working with AC3 (and VBR MP3) audio :)
    Ideally you could just keep the AC3 audio, but re-time it if necessary.
    Decompressing the AC3 to WAV and re-encoding it to MP3 or whatever, then re-muxing, is a huge pain and you will still have to re-time it.
    So if you made VBR MP3 you're gonna need NanDub anyway, sooner or later...
    Regards

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  6. AeroPeek

AeroPeek Member

Thanks, I'll give Nandub a try :)

BTW, I want to keep the sound in AC3 format, so converting it to other formats and then re-mux it is not a good idea ;)