1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re-encoding a Blu-Ray to DVD9 format

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by Weirdo007, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

I know from a few posts this had been asked and I apologize if this is redundant but I am stuck. I will state exactly what I'm trying to do. I want to back-up a Blu-ray disc and re-encode it to fit onto a double-layer DVD9 so that I can play it on a regular DVD player without having to have a Blu-Ray player in every room in my home. My problem is not ripping the movie to my HDD, I have already successfully accomplished that. The problem I am having is the encoder crashes the VPU/GPU when it trys to re-encode and compress the BluRay data. I used DVDFab to rip, and the program also has the ability (or so it says) to convert Blu-Ray to DVD. I can list more of my specs if needed. Thanks for any input and help with this.

2. 13echo4

13echo4 Regular member

I believe DvDFab has the ability to covert bluray to dvd. I've never done it that way. I've found useing DvDFab to do anything other than Ripping to be a pita. Anyway if you still want to use Fab then check for an update.
    What I do is use Fab to rip bluray then I use megui to shrink the video and export to a m2ts file then remux and nero to convert to vob.
    Yes this is more than a single click to acheive and useing at least 4 wares. Why I do it is because I can demux and pull out all the audio I want removed. I use ac3 audio tracks so I can use more space for video.I think there's to much to consider for just a single click app to give a good result every time.

3. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

Good answer, I really liked it. Yes I was trying to use DVDFab to reencode a ripped BluRay movie, and it would crash my VPU/GPU. Something with the software encoder in DVDFab I think. It is an excellent ripper I have to say, but I had no luck with encoding or compressing. I will try some of the programs you mentioned, and yes my goal is convert/compress the BluRay files, mt2s or whatever they are, into VOB. If I can get them into VOB I can work with them easier. Thanks for the great answer :)

4. 13echo4

13echo4 Regular member

I'll help ya anyway I can. These other wares can be alittle aggravating to setup. Even though its straight forward. If you don't already know install k-light codec pack. You can go to the bluray thread and on the front page is the list of links. I suggest getting the guide and reading it to a grasps of what does what and how things work.

5. keebles

keebles Regular member

In DVDfab, go into the settings and change encoder from hardware to software. Also make sure that gpu acceleration is deselected. This should fix the crashing that you are experiencing.

6. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

Thxs Keebles, that actually nailed it on the head. The hardware acceleration was causing it to hang, now no problems since I disabled it. Thxs again, both of you