1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re External Hard drive Query

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by faolteam, Dec 21, 2011.

1. faolteam

faolteam Regular member

2. cactikid

cactikid Active member

3. faolteam

faolteam Regular member

What about using the Service slot ???? at back as a usb

4. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

I dont see nor does it mention a USB to playback media on this TV, the service slot maybe a USB port to update the firmware on the TV, but it doesnt mention any playback facilty of any kind

5. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

normally this has nothing got to do with the type of drive. instead it has to do with the ability of the tv to play mpeg4, mp3, avi or other files. yes a tv will be capable of running an autorun update file from usb which is a file of acceptable format to the tv. so you ask the wrong question. the question is if your tv is capable of playing different video formats. if it is so capable then you can save such file formats to any hard drive and they will be instantly playable on your TV. so time for you to do a bit of research.

6. faolteam

faolteam Regular member

Not been cheeky but how do i go about getting research ???

7. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Check the specs of the TV, like I did, Does it mention playback of any file type? Such as AVI, MKV, MP3, M4A, MP4 etc, no it doesnt, a simple google of the specs will tell ya this. In fact its an older model TV, from 2009, its a basic TV, does what it says on the tin, you want to play files with bells and whistles, your going to have to go a higher spec and I assume your in Ireland, this is a UK model tv with freeview, go for a TV with Soarview and file playback capability

EDIT: some reviews of it,
    http://www.which.co.uk/technology/t...nd-plasma-tv/samsung-le32b450/customer-views/

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  8. faolteam

faolteam Regular member

So this tv is rendered useless for what i want to do

is there no adaptor etc i can use

i heard someone mention about codes ????

9. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

It dont mention any playback so, no it wont work, codes I dont know anything about, I would take its more than codes as the TV will need the necessary firmware to play files and as this is a basic TV I highly doubt it, lastly its a UK model, so not really any use for ireland, no soarview capable tuner, just buy a media player if that what you want, pick on up on ebay for under 50 quid, that will play AVI MKV MP4 etc or get a TV with a better spec

10. faolteam

faolteam Regular member

If i buy a media player will that work through TV ???

Would this work then and what port do i put it in , sorry im not to well up in this stuff :

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/media-player...s_Video_HomeCinemaSystems&hash=item27c16d5151

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  11. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

You get what you pay for, once the TV has a HDMI connection or (red,white, yellow) or a scart even, it will work, this model above is, well a cheap knock off, if you really want to get a good media player, your looking at the WDTV Live or similar for about 100 euros, but they update the box all the time with new firmwares to improve or to add more formats, the NBOX while cheap and cheerful are a budget player, but where does the firmware come from? They rarely release any, just like Starview its a new box, as I said ya pay for what you get, spend a few quid and at least ya get your moneys worth in terms of quality, service and longevity of what ya bought. I have a WDTV gen 2 box over 2 years and it plays everything I sling at it, the cheaper boxs will have issues with files and how they may be encoded, I have tested a few now and they all have the same issue of playing a file fully before skipping to the next film in the list,

12. faolteam

faolteam Regular member

ok so i appreciate everything you help me with , can u send me a link of were there is one going or one that you may recommend , or is there one on ebay that would suit me thanks , im living in Ireland from what i can see they are USA and Australia ones thanks

does any of these take your eye :

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_nkw=...digital&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

WESTERN DIGITAL WDBGXT0000NBK WD TV Live Streaming Media Player from

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/11253744/art/western-digital/wdbgxt0000nbk-wd-tv-live.html
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/western...tm_term=western digital HD media player+broad
    http://techcrunch.com/2009/10/22/review-wd-tv-live-hd-media-player/
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...=aps&hvadid=4213458243&ref=pd_sl_8g3rxm5gy6_b

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  13. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

the WD live ia good box which stream content from your PC over your network, good box and plays a lot of stuff, try Elara.ie also for prices

14. faolteam

faolteam Regular member

Do these boxes have their own hard drive

15. faolteam

faolteam Regular member

my ideal one would be one that has the hard drive in it and is light that i can carry with me when i am going away on holidays, i see a lot from usa and australia not sure if they would work in ireland

would really like you to pick one out for me if that is possible allowing for the above required

Thanks

16. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

go to amazon and pick up a 1 TB Western Digital drive, for about 55 euro, then order the WDTV if you want from Pixmania.ie, simple as. I aint gonna pick one for ya, just suggesting, never buy one thats all in one as if one goes bang, what ya gonna do then, always buy a seperate, that means your HD fails, you can use the media player with any other drive and vice versa.

You can use these on holidays just plug an adapter onto them for plugs in Europe.

17. faolteam

faolteam Regular member

last question will this will this drive do instead of the 1 tb western digital drive : Trekstor 1 Terabyte (1000Gb) External Hard Disk Drive ???

18. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

The reason I mention the WDTV on Amazon, is the cost and you get a great warranty from Western Digital, so if the drive ya mention is the same price or cheaper and you get a 12 month no quibble warranty, go for it, how much is the trekstor?

19. faolteam

faolteam Regular member

hi Mickah , i have this Trekstor about a year and a half it cost me 69 euro at the time, it is a plug in and you turn on a switch i rarely use it to be honest

20. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Then just use that then and get the media player