1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Read Error" with TMPEG

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by energyman, Dec 16, 2002.

1. energyman

energyman Member

I am using an AMD Athlon 1.46 GHz with 328 mb of SDRAM. I have plenty of space on my drive (at least 30 extra gigs) and I am using Windows XP Pro. I use Smart ripper to rip, then DVD2AVI, then TMPEG. Ever time, usually somewhere before 5%, I get this error..... Read error occured at address 004810d3 of module 'TMPGEnc.exe' with 01f17C28. I've dried different movies, but I just don't know what the problem is. Could it be that I'm running Windows XP. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME :( I would greatly appreaciate it.

2. energyman

energyman Member

3. dzdave

dzdave Guest

I am getting the same error, but I am running Windows 98 second edition. However, I am also running an AMD Atholon (1 GHz). Might have something to do with that. Could you let me know if you ever found out what the couse was?

4. wheelerdr

wheelerdr Member

i do not want to tell you what to do but if you are trying to copy a dvd with a dvd writer
    use dvd0-dycrepter instead of smartripper
    and if you need to shrink it use rempeg instead of tmpeg it is alot easier. but if you do not need to shrink it anymore than use ifo edit to edit and neo dvd standard or nero to burn works great

5. wheelerdr

wheelerdr Member

hope tis helps if not email me @ **no email in the forums-read the forum rules** i will help

Last edited: Dec 30, 2002
  6. energyman

energyman Member

HEY EZDAVE...... My problem was the my RAM. It was bad. It had a bad "address" on it, so I bought a new stick and everything works great now. Also, if you have two different speeds of ram (like PC 100 MHz and PC 133 MHz), that might be your error too. The error IS a RAM error, so if anyone tells you anything else, they're wrong, I even went to Microsoft.com and it told me the error had sometihng to do with my RAM. It absolutly has nothing to do with your processor, OS system, programs or anything else. SO.....try out some new RAM or if you have mixed speeds, take one or the other out so you're not. If you need to know where to get some cheap RAM, e-mail me at **no email in the forums-read the forum rules** . Later

Last edited: Dec 30, 2002
  7. dzdave

dzdave Guest

hey energyman-was the problem from a certain type of RAM, like DDR, or SDRAM? what kind of RAM caused and fixed the problem? Thanks!

8. energyman

energyman Member

Well, my problem was that I had three sticks of SDRAM in my motherboard. One was PC 66, another PC 100 and andother was PC 133. First of all, some programs will have errors if you have different speeds of ram installed, BUT my actual problem was that I had a bad sector on my ram and when TMPG had to use that sector to store incoding info, I would get the stupid read error. Hope this helps :)

9. dzdave

dzdave Guest

Hey energyman, I appreciate the info! I tried running scandisks on both hard drives and both showed no errors and no bad sectors. Also, I have 2 sticks of 256 MB of RAM and they are identical to each other. Same brand and everything. So I am not sure what to do now...
    And wheelerdr, I did use decrypter to rip dvd, and I have also tried using smartripper with the same end result, so not sure if that is the problem. Thanks for the input!

10. energyman

energyman Member

Well dave, take out one of your sticks of ram..... Try out TMPG and see what happens. If you get the same error, take out that stick and put the other stick in. It's probobly only one of them that are bad. Also...just for the record, what is the speed (example: PC133)?

11. dzdave

dzdave Guest

Hey energyman-I tried each memory card by itself with the same result. It is PC133 RAM. If the motherboard speed is PC100 and the RAM is 133, do you think that would cause a problem? I am not sure off the top of my head what the motherboard speed is.

12. energyman

energyman Member

That is a definate possibily. Try to find out what the speed is (of your motherboard)

13. dzdave

dzdave Guest

I have an Abit KT7A motherboard, and Abit claims it provides the options of 100 MHz/100MHz, 100 MHz/133MHz, or 133 MHz/133 MHz CPU and memory bus combinations, so I am not sure what I am running at right now. In my bios setup, my cpu is running at 1000 MHz(100), the 100 in parentheses I am guessing is the CPU bus speed. When I tried to change it to 133, the computer would not boot and I had to clear the CMOS jumper. Is there a way I can make my CPU bus speed 133 MHz to match my RAM? According to Abit there shouldn't be a problem with the CPU and RAM running at different speeds.

14. energyman

energyman Member

Well, this is where I can't help you anymore. I'm sorry dude. Those are all the tests I can think of. I've her of some RAM testing programs which look for errors in your RAM and can actually fix them sometimes. Don't know the names, you'll have to search for e'm....keyword "RAM testers" or something similar. Also, I would still try to buy a new stick of ram... try it out, if it still doesn't work, just return it asap so you can get your money back. Sorry, hope I helped somewhat....

Later,
    Energyman

15. dzdave

dzdave Guest

Thanks for all your help energyman. I appreciate you taking time out to lend me a hand. I do think I will buy some memory and give it a try, and if it doesn't work then I always can return it. Thanks again.

16. energyman

energyman Member

No problem dude. Talk to you later. Let me know if the new RAM works : )

17. dzdave

dzdave Guest

The memory didnt work...#@&%!!!

18. youpi

youpi Member

Hey,
    I have the same problem with
    tmpeg and i found that my
    ram sucked.

when a program have errors like
    'read or write error'
    you can be sure it is a ram problem.

I changed my ram three times and had the same
    problem.

so :
    DO NOT BUY NONAME RAM

you will always have problems with
    it.

I found a good program to test if your
    ram contains bad sectors :

you can find it here :

http://www.memtest86.com/
    it is terrific as it finds all bad sectors.

the solution is to buy good ram
    one of the cheapest in good rams
    is samsung.

19. energyman

energyman Member

YAY. Someone that acutally had the sam problem as me. Thx for the program, I've been wanting a good "pre-tested" program that can test ram. I'm glad your stuff is working now. Late.