1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Read errors from DVD Decrypter - FixVTS didn't

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by Martinet, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Martinet

Martinet Member

I'm trying to rip Shin Chan Season 2 (2 discs) and DVD Decrypter gives me read errors on just about every major segment. If I recall correctly, I had similar problems with Season 1, but DVD Rebuilder shrank the file anyway and all was good.

This time I'm using DVD Rebuilder (free) with HCEnc and it errors out at the start of Phase 2.

After finding WillN's thread on similar problems, I tried FixVTS. It chewed for several minutes but DVD-RB still doesn't like the input.

This is all on Vista. I've had no similar problems with other DVDs.

I thought I saw mentioned in passing that the read errors are likely due to some novel form of encryption. Can you point me to more info?

Is there some other fix or transcoder I can use on these ripped files?

2. Martinet

Martinet Member

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I tried ConvertXtoDVD on it with unhappy results. Program hung. Repeatedly.

3. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

*scratches head*

First problem first. Dvd decrypter is an old program, that is no longer being updated. You can try either dvdfab HD Decrypter (freeware) or anydvd (21-day trial, then payware) to rip your movies.

Second, convertXtoDVD converts media files to dvd compliant files. It will not be able to rip dvd files at all, as it's only a converter.

4. Martinet

Martinet Member

Yeah, ConvertXtoDVD was a shot in the dark.

I just tried DVDShrink 3.2, both full DVD and Re-author mode. On the version that hasn't had FixVTS applied it errors immediately with
    On the version with FixVTS applied it chews for a while then barfs up the helpful message
    I guess I'll have to get the discs back (lent) and try some other ripper.

Still looking for ideas on what type of protection scheme might be doing this.

5. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

Ahhhhh, I see what the problem is. Since you don't own the disks, you don't have the right codecs to copy them.

Most programs only work on those disks that youown.

No further advice will be given from me.

6. Martinet

Martinet Member

No, silly boy. Must you assume the worst? I do own the discs. I meant that I had lent them to a friend (which is why I wanted a backup in the first place).

Still don't have them back so I can't try a different program on them, but I did grab DVDFab HD and tried it on another disc. Seems to work okay, though there are a couple of annoying "features" (like you can't name the output directory).

But the "free" version seems to be merely a time-limited trial. Is it?

7. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

No. The freeware version is not on any kind of time limit.

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm..

As to DVDFab, you can just create a directory anywhere you want and point DVDFab towards it. Plus obviously you can rename directories later.
    DVDFab is probably all that's needed here, you just need to use FixVTS or Vobblanker (Vobblanker is my personal choice) after all DVDFab rips to ensure the ripped files are cleaned correctly as DVDFab isn't known for it's clean rips. This is very important when it comes to DVD Rebuilder, here's my horror story re DVD Rebuilder and unclean DVDFab rips ~ http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/589662/3566757 (which is no a non event as i always use Voblanker after ALL DVDFab rips.

9. Martinet

Martinet Member

Well, it was as you said. DVDFab plowed through it without complaint. I ran FixVTS, DVD-RB, and ImgBurn and nary a problem, though FixVTS did chew on it for a while.

I guess its time to retire good ole DVDDecrypter.

Thanks for the help.

I'm still wondering, though, what type of encryption they may be using?