1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Read Errors in the Last 10 per cent of DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by r_shelton, Jan 15, 2007.

1. r_shelton

r_shelton Guest

Hardware: HP dvd740e (Burner) or internal writer of
    HP ze5500us Notebook
    HP Light Scribe DVD+R, DVD-R
    Various DVD+R/W
    Software: DVD Dxxxxxxxx, DVD Shrink v3.2, DVD Dxxxxxx(burn)

My Issue is:

Read Errors in the Last 10 per cent of DVD-R, et al disks on almost every backup.

2. vballstud

vballstud Guest

A few possibilities...
    DVD Decrypter has not been updated in about a year and does not work with newer DVDs with the new Sony encryption.
    DVD Shrink has not been supported for over a year and like Decrypter will not work with newer encryption.
    DVD burner firmware may need an update.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2007
  3. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

You need to give more information than that.
    Are you mulit tasking?
    Is your firmware up to date?
    What's the media i.d?
    What speed are the discs rated for?
    What speed were you burning at?
    The list can go on and on.

4. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

HP is not the very best choice for media -- either it's a media or burning issue. The only media I recommend are: Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim and Hitachi Maxell (MIJ) -- I've been using these 1st class media and so far I've never experienced any playback issue whatsoever.

5. r_shelton

r_shelton Guest

[1] The DVD's backup up range from 1962 to 2005.

[2] The HP 740e firmware is current.

6. r_shelton

r_shelton Guest

Thank you for your response, OK here is more information:

[1] In my WXP OS, there are more then 20 programs(just like every one else) running at start up, besides the two or three programs I might run. Yes I do shut down all the programs I have started.

[2] The HP dvd 740e firmware is current. The drive is only a year old.

[3] Media ID is various.

[4] I burn DVDs at i/2 the DVD maximum rating.

[5] HP LS DVD-R is x16
    HP LS DVD+RW is x4

[6] I burn at half the maximum rate.

7. r_shelton

r_shelton Guest

[1] I have used TDK, Memorex and HP DVDs. I am using HP for the Light Scribe feature and their quality assurance record; I have been a steady customer since 1956. I live and work about one mile from the HP corporation offices.

The print media and personal contacts with DVD merchants report that the production DVDs are all made off shore by one or two suppliers and the merchant simply has TDK, Memorex, HP etc name put on the box.

HP has had this policy since 1939, that anything no made by them would be under there ownership or executive control and they would guarantee QUALITY ASSURANCE (not to be confused with quality control). My experience over the last 10 years with CD/DVD issues is they still provide that guarantee.

8. RippDogg

RippDogg Regular member

Most everything you've listed as using is junk media. Even if you get good burns they may not be worth anything down the road. Try this software if you're interested in seeing what you're burning with.
    DVD Identifier

9. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

The choice is yours, I've recommended you 1st class media: Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim and Hitachi Maxell (MIJ), so it's your free will to try them or you can keep using Memorex and HP to your desire and still have the same issue (freezing, skipping down the road).

To be honest with you, I've done enough burning, testing, scanning from Memorex and TDK (especially CMC MAG) to high quality media (Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim and Hitachi Maxells) and my conclusion is that "crap or inferior media is likely to skip, distort, freeze and degrade/demolish easily."

Again, the choice is yours.