1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

**Read First** Dvd Burners.. What to look for?! **

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Ripper, Mar 24, 2007.

1. cybrspwn

cybrspwn Member

i still reckon the pioneer dvr 112d is da best $35 aud here black and no burning issues even over the sata version reason is ata is supported 100% sata im not sure wen it comes 2 cd/dvd

remember

good brand
    good price
    good color
    good speed
    good quality
    all good

2. Frankwm

Frankwm Member

While my SL burns are fine, I'm getting really crappy DL burns, primarily on the return path, i.e. the second layer, especially towards the end of the burn.

I'm using decent software, AnyDVD + CloneDVD2. I'm using the best available media, TY for SL & Verbatim for DL. My current burner is a Sony SL cross flashed to a LiteOn DL. I've tried all the software suggestions from this forum, but still no luck. My conclusion is that I need a decent burner.

The consensus of opinion seems to be that both the Philips SPD2413BD and the Pioneer DVR-112D are both decent burners. They are currently both selling at NewEgg for just under $30. Is there any preference of one over the other?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  3. cybrspwn

cybrspwn Member

well if it helps pioneer could b owned by denon under another name and i know there stereo systms r over $10,000 aud because there the best but pioneer r rated as the best other than denon i think

4. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

@Frankwm
    I'd go with the Pioneer or even a LiteOn from newegg - my 2 favs.
    I use 2 LiteOns for dual layer burning and so far they have been decent using Verbatim, Ricoh and Ritek.

5. catfreak

catfreak Active member

In my opinion, as far as DL burning, the Litey & Pioneer are equal . . .

However . . . If you plan to burn +R discs, the Litey is superior while for -R disc burning, I prefer the Pioneer

Both will booktype DL discs while only the Litey booktypes +R (without using hacked firmware)

Just my 8½¢ worth . .

6. Frankwm

Frankwm Member

Thanks for the input folks. I'll go with the Pioneer 112D. Hope it solves my problem.

7. binkie7

Another suggestion - is the Sony's firmware up to date?
    Though it sounds like an older burner so yeah I think you best bet would be a newer burner.

8. Frankwm

Frankwm Member

If memory serves me correctly, I updated the firmware either late last year or early this year.

Considering how inexpensive DL burners are now, I'm quite happy getting a new one.

Just out of curiousity, if decent DL burners can be had for around $30, how much do top-of-line burners cost? Or are these considered pretty much top?

9. binkie7

Those are pretty much top of the line so that's about the going rate now.
    Plextor was the 'king' of burners and they run about 3x as much but since they no longer make their own burners I'm not sure how they stack up anymore.

10. Frankwm

Frankwm Member

Installed my new Pioneer 112D today & updated the firmware.

I burned a movie which had previously produced a lousy burn (coaster). As part of the test, I even used a lesser quality media (Memorex DL brand, Ritek manufacture). Played perfectly on my standalone player. Looks like my problem is solved.

Many thanks to all you knowledgeable folks on this forum.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  11. binkie7

Good deal Frankwm :)
    Looks like you have many good dual layer burns now.

12. ben7337

ben7337 Member

Did I get a bad Pioneer 112D or something? Back in May I got one and have burned at most 250 discs, and now it is making clicking sounds that match with the activity light flickering and it had issues accessing data on a disk which may or may not have been it's fault, and it just burned a bad disk where one of 15 episodes was completely trashed and nero said that the burn failed. Could this even remotely be caused by outdated firmware or a bad connection? I wouldn't think it could but just wondering.

13. binkie7

It can't hurt to check those 2 out. I'd definitely keep the firmware up to date.

14. ben7337

ben7337 Member

well having looked around quickly it seems the 1.15 firmware I got before was up to date and windows says that the driver is up to date. I took the case out, cleaned off a bit of dust on the outside, blew on and reconnected the power and IDE cables and tried letting ti access a dvd, things still make noise there there seems to be a bit less. Would you say that my drive is dying? would it make sense to get another drive? while it seems sata and ide don't really offer any major advantages over each other, I do find the IDE cable to be bulky and pointless, but the 212D by pioneer seems to be horrible, and the 215 is not available in the USA yet for some reason. Are there any drives that are known to be good for under $40 or under $100 that are guaranteed to last at least a year? I would feel safe with a NEC but there don't seem to be any around, Liteon makes so many drives and has such mixed reviews, it is just annoying finding a good drive.

I can say that I have almost no real requirements though, as long as it burns all types of dvds/cds it is fine by me, I really don't even want lightscribe and can live with sata or ide as they each have their disadvantages (sata would likely require me to buy another sata cable unless I find retail). So what would you recommend?

15. ben7337

ben7337 Member

wait 1.15 is not the newest, I got a bit mixed up betwen firmware and drivers at one point as I was on an eu site and it made it seem as if the frimware was different between countries (I figured it could be based on region) and I was looking for drivers not firmware but 1.24 is the newest, I doubt it will do much as the drive is probably just getting old but here goes nothing.

16. Frankwm

Frankwm Member

I read on another thread (I totally forget where) that some guy who is fairly knowledgeable with hardware, opens the cd/dvd burner case & checks that all the screws & nuts are properly tightened. With shipping across oceans, etc., some of them can loosen up. If your burner is out of warranty, you might try that before buying a new burner.

17. ben7337

ben7337 Member

but the drive only cost like $30, why pay $30 to ship ti overseas for repairs? Besides, I don't know how long the pioneer warranty is but I would like to assume it is a 1 yr limited warranty, and I doubt I am applicable but it seems there is an issue with a few of their burners including the 112D that cause it to not work in certain conditions and the site says they will send a replacement or newer model free of charge if that is your issue, but they don't even ask about the conditions that the drive endured when in use, so I don't know if I want to try that as I doubt my house meets and rare extreme conditions that the drive should be able to withstand.

18. binkie7

@ben7337
    Update the firmware to 1.24 if you haven't already.

What media are you using? Might be why. Now the reading part where the drive was having trouble - may just be the disc itself - there may be a problem w/ it.

The Pioneer could be going - nothings ever 100%. I have found the Pioneer to be a good drive along w/ the LiteOn. I would recommend both.
    2 of my 4+ years old drives are a LiteOn and Pioneer - still kicking :)

I would go w/ Sata if you have the ports - It's what I'm moving too. I think they have faster access times plus they don't have those bulky cables.

19. ben7337

ben7337 Member

yeah I am thinking of getting a Pioneer 215D when they come out in the USA, I remember I went with the 112D as opposed to 212D both because the computer it was originally put in had no sata ports and because I heard that ATA/IDE was better and that SATA disk drives went horribly slowly, though I don't hear anyone saying that now.

I am not sure what was up with my drive, as I said yesterday I did update to 1.24 firmware. the media that has been making noises was Memorex 16x DRD-R's burned at 4x I think, maxell dvd-rw's burned at 2x, and the disks I recently burned verbatim printable dvd+r's. However I found that the printable discs don't have any waterproofing and any water on them will make the ink run so I am planning on getting Taiyo Yuden dvd-r's with watershield and since someone said pioneer is better with dvd-r as opposed to +r I guess that is kind of a good thing even if it does have older correction on the disc.

Recently burning a few discs today, on my second one, heard some slightly quieter noises but they sounded okay, much more the way a hard drive normally can ahve slightly quiet accessing noises and they seemed normal to me. In burning discs the accessing light is holding constant and so far 1 disc came out good and this other one will be done in a few minutes hopefully also good (I am burning as 4x). I have yet to try asking it to access data on a disc to see how things go there as that is where most of the noise seemed to lie though. Since I only have one drive it can't hurt to get a second one.

20. binkie7

I'd bump up the burn speed to 8x on the 16x speed media. Not all the newer 16x media will do well at the lowers speeds - 4x and under.

The firmware sounds like it did make a diff. When a drive has a harder time reading the disc because it's not supported by the firmware then my experience has been it's a little noisier.

Buy yeah since you only have the 1 I would definitely pick up a 2nd. The more the merrier imho :) Plus the prices are so cheap now for a good drive.