1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

read-speed too low with Plextor PX-708A ?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by rrommel, Dec 30, 2003.

1. rrommel

rrommel Member

All,

I just bought a very fast system (3 Ghz-HT, 512Mb), including the Plextor PX-708A DVD +/- burner ... specs say it should read DVD-ROMs 5-8x ... using SmartRipper or Nero I only get a read-speed of exactly 2x (2701 Kb/sec) ... and it's not going up.
    This DVD-drive is connected as a primary master on the 2nd IDE-channel, nothing more attached to it.
    I just connected this drive to the 1st IDE-channel ... no improvements.

In the same system I have a Samsung DVD-ROM (SD-616Q), which starts at around 1.8 but will increase up to 5-6x within 2 minutes or so!

While ripping, the CPU is doing 'nothing', enough memory avaialble too.

I flashed the ROM of the drive to the latest version (1.04), I also installed ASPI-drivers from Aapatec
    (but SmartRipper says it is not able to make use of it).

Anyone any ideas?

2. ls3mach

ls3mach Member

Is it using an 80Pin E-IDE cable. I believe it needs to be. Might check that out. Also you cant count the pins because the cable looks the same as a standard IDE does.

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I know this thread is old, but I just installed my new 708 today and it seems to be capped at 2X reads for encrypted DVDs just like my old DRU-500A.

Mines set up on primary master with an 80 wire ATA cable and a pretty quick system as well. No bother though - that's what I have a LiteOn DVD-ROM for.

I can't imagine it being a physical limitation of the drive. Is this something they do to make MPAA happy by making it take forever and a day to rip a DVD?

4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

the dvd companies made some burner companies set a limit of 2x ripping of encrypted dvds. Your best bet is puting hacked firmware in the burner to unlock the rip limit. i did this for my pioneer 105 and it works perfectly. http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php should have the firmware.

5. Nephilim

Figures. I'm a bit of a pansy when I hear "hacked firmware" so I'll stick to my Litey 166 for all my ripping!

Who actually puts out the hacked firmware for these drives? Is it an established group that does this or do you google it and take your chances?

6. jerg

jerg Member

Dude!

The 708A has its rip speed set at 2x for CSS encrypted DVD's to reduce drive noise when watching said flicks. In your manual it is described how to enable higher-speed ripping. If you don't have a manual, I believe it involves holding the eject-button for four seconds when the drive tray is open and DVD in the tray. Release the button, and the tray will close, theoretically enabling hispeed ripping. If this doesn't work, try it the other way. With drive EMPTY and CLOSED, hold eject for 4 seconds as before and then insert disk and close. Remember, reboot or eject the disk and its back to 2x ripping!

7. Nephilim

Dude!

You're absolutely right. I actually read the manual (for once).

1: Ensure tray is closed and empty.

2: Press and hold the eject button for at least three seconds. The LED will blink green three times to indicate that SpeedRead is enabled for CSS-protected discs.

I'll still use my LiteOn to read. Less wear and tear on my expensive ones.

8. Stryker-1

Stryker-1 Member

Only problem is the manual states Speedread'll be turned OFF upon ejecting the disc or shutting down the PC. So, you gotta do it every time you load a disc that you want to rip faster than 2x.

9. Nephilim

It's a bit of a pain but at least you have the option without having to install a hacked firmware.

10. dtam5874

dtam5874 Member

Can the same trick be done on the TDK 840G to enable higher speed ripping? The TDK 840G is supposed to be the same drive as the Plextor 708A right?