1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

read the forum and guides...now what...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by agenda, Jul 6, 2003.

1. agenda

agenda Member

now that i have read a lot of the forums and the online guide by the uk dude...i am a bit more confused...i want to purchase a decent DVD burner, but statements like best for the money and cheap are not encouraging to me..what i want is one that is good today and for some time to come...so if money isnt the object ie. $500.oo or less...what do the pro's recommend...i intend to make backups of all my dvd's - that's it..so i guess i dont want to pay for features i will never use...also, what is the best software - free or otherwise, to accomplish this...first i read DVDXCopy is great...then i read its not the solve all...then i see where i should use DVDShrink to fit most movies on one disc...my wishlist - all on one cd, dont care about extras- have yet to view them - so what software makes my life and dvd backup goals the easiest...?

thanks in advance and the info here has been priceless!!!

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

[bold]Pioneer DVD-RW DVR 106[/bold]

DVD Decrypter 3.1.6 (free)
    DVD2One 1.2 ( http://www.dvd2one.com )
    Nero 5.5.10.42 (or RecordNow Max)

or

DVD Shrink 2.3 (free)
    Nero 5.5.10.42 (or RecordNow Max)

And buy good media like the Ritek G04 ...!!: )
    [Like to keep it simple]_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    I give you all these seed bearing plants & 'erbs to use...[/small]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2003
  3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I totally agree with Ganji, sorry Herbsman, about the software he has mentioned above but do disagree on the DVD Writer he has recommended. It is an excellent writer, i know of no better, but it has both +R and -R formats. You said you dont want to pay for a facility you wouldnt use. Well +R is one you may never use. I recommend trying to get one of the Pioneer DVR105's before they are all gone!

Chris

4. coreydj

coreydj Member

i researched all the best writers and found the sony to fit all my needs. it might be more than others($350) but i've also seen a verbatim writer($217) that works realy well with its own disks. it depends on what media u want to use mostly.

as far as the burning process i totaly agree with herbsman on that. shrink is easy to use. _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Windows XP
    AMD 1900 XP
    Sony DRU500ax DVD writer[/small]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2003
  5. agenda

agenda Member

thanks all for the input...
    the sony dru500 specs show it has a 8mb cache and the pioneer shows only a 2mb cache...is this important for my decision making?

6. carlitob

carlitob Regular member

Yeah it is somewhat important just means that you can fit more data on the drive itself bigger buffer=faster burning. But in all honesty the actual speed difference you see is barely noticeable. I would recommend going with a Pioneer 105 it can burn up to 4x. Right now 4x media is a lil too expensive for me so I use 2x media 65$ for 50pack including shipping on Ritek G03's. In about 6-9 months the price will surely go down on the 4x media so you can look to pay the same for a 50pk of 4x. In my opinion a 200$ investment on a 105 plus 65$ per 50 blacks will probably last 2 years.

Lets do the math:

burner + 500 movies you make over the next 2 years. (a little excessive but just for arguments sake)

200$+(65$X10)=850$

thats 850$ for 500 movies. thats about 1.70$ per movie as opposed to 20$ per movie at the store.

7. coreydj

coreydj Member

carlitob i like how u make sound so sweet with the math .........wow never thought of it thta way. and the sony also burns @ 4 speed...welll at least the one i have does. and yes 4 speed dvd are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ right now. but if money is the key to the problem go with the cheaper of the 2 mentioned