1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reading and converting 48 KHz, 20 bits LPCM

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Amstel, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Amstel

Amstel Member

Which software program can read and convert 48 KHz, 20 bits LPCM (1920 Kbits/s) audio files, which I ripped from a music DVD?

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

3. Amstel

Amstel Member

Sorry LPCM24 doesn't work for me.

With CoolEdit I can read 16 and 24 bits LPCM files, but not 20 bits.

Does somebody know another solution?

4. Amstel

Amstel Member

I tried a lot of audio editing/conversion software last days, but I still didn't find the software which can read the 48 kHz, 20 bits LPCM files.
    The most of the software which can read LPCM files, gives just a 16 or 24 bits option, not 20 bits.

I don't know in how far the 20 bits are standard, anyway also my software DVD player, PowerDVD, can’t read the LPCM track, my hardware player, Pioneer 350, can.

The workaround for me on this moment is the following:
    I use DVD Decrypter and rip not just the audio, but the LPCM audio with the video as a VOB file. I found the program MPEG Mediator, http://www.mpeg-mediator.com, which can extract the audio from a VOB file as a WAV file.
    The weird thing is that MPEG Mediator recognizes the VOB file as a file with 16 bits audio and also the extracted WAV file is a 48 kHz, 16 bits WAV file.