1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reading Error on Back-up Disc

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by koolkarla, May 16, 2007.

1. koolkarla

koolkarla Member

Need help. I tried several programs to make a copy of a back-up DVD+R movie. I tried DVD Decrypter, DVDShrink, Nero Copy Disc(ver. 6.6.0.18, Sonic Recordnow and no luck, it stops during the reading process. It says disc is dirty needs to clean and free from scratches. All of the back-up movies were doing the same thing and I know they are pretty okay (no scratches nor fingerprints). I just upgraded Nero from 6.3.0.4. I have a Sony DRU-500A (firmware been updated to 2.1a). Any ideas.

I'm successful though when using DVDShrink when backing up original movies and burning them with Nero but no success on already back-up discs. That I know the burner is not the problem. Need help.

2. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

What name brand of discs are you using. Some do not last long.

3. koolkarla

koolkarla Member

Sony DVD+R... Memorex DVD+R... TDK DVD+R.... these are already backed-up movies and the error occured during the reading process.

4. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

Also try your discs on another computer. If they can be read, you may have a faulty drive or the laser lens might need a good cleaning.

5. koolkarla

koolkarla Member

how come I was able to back-up an original DVD from Shrink / Nero though but can't do it on a back-up DVD already ??

6. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

A number of reasons can cause this. Poor media, bad burns, dirty discs, dirty laser lens etc.

7. koolkarla

koolkarla Member

I'll do the lens cleaning, any suggestions on the best way to clean this with the gas duster ??

8. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

that should help, but there are lens cleaners in stores like bestbuy, walmart, that are better cleaners than just air can spray, it probably the media, and maybe bad burns that are causing the read errors.

those sonys should be alright, but i would only recommend Taiyo Yudens, or Verbatims.

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  9. koolkarla

koolkarla Member

It's reading okay now. Dirty lens, cleaned it. Thanks a lot for the help guys.......

10. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

Glad to hear you got it.