1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

reading problems

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by heyitsme, Apr 21, 2005.

1. heyitsme

heyitsme Member

ive recently gotten a pioneer 109 and taiyo-yuden 8x dvd-r's and have been having trouble with back ups. it sounds like something is under terrible stress inside my system. im assuming its the laser struggling to read the dvd. i should mention i'm using a flip top and swapmagic to read back ups.

the problem is some back ups reach certain points in the game and struggle immensely to the point of stopping. the sounds emitting from my ps2 are particularly loud during these stops. ive found that if i pop open the top during this, the game starts to read again but still struggles a lot and is noisy. generally, when this happens and i open the top, the laser is reading the outer-most edge. not sure if that has any significance. at first i thought i just installed the flip top wrong but when i put the originals in, it works okey dokey.

i've been using nero to burn the back ups but for some reason, the lowest speed i can choose is 4x. not sure if that makes a difference.

does anyone know what the problem could be? bad media + drive combination? burning too fast? or perhaps something else? any info is appreciated

thanks a bundle
    -sk

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

try dvd decrypter and see if you can burn slower.

3. heyitsme

heyitsme Member

when i used decrypter, i was able to select 1x but it does not list it as one of the useable speeds (shown below). ive tried burning it anyways and no good, still trouble some. both my writer and dvd-r's say they can do anything from 1-16x and 1-8x respectively.

[​IMG]

any ideas as to why that is? just a heads up, i havent upgraded firmware but 1x was listed as a stock feature so i'm assuming it can do 1x. just not sure why i cant

4. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

try the firmware upgrade. and try some better media.

5. cyepumk

cyepumk Guest

somtimes loud noises comes from the dvd slipping on the spindle.it makes a grating sound then stops then grates again and so on...is that the noise you heard?

6. heyitsme

heyitsme Member

ok. ive updated firmware to the newest. as for media, i see many people recommending multiple brands. ive purchased the taiyo yuden because i read it was good in another thread. perhaps not for a version 4 ps2?

as for the sound, i dont think its slipping. the sound is like *schick schick schick*. its a real constant and mechanical sound. its really particular about when it happens too and im assuming slipping occurs randomly? original versions are fine (as in never makes that sound/slips) but when i placed their back ups in, certain points in the game will always cause the sound to emit