1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reading wii disc on PC

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by LavaWave, Jul 5, 2009.

1. LavaWave

LavaWave Member

Hi I heard in order to read a wii disc on PC is to get an LG drive is this true?

Is there a way around this or must I buy an LG drive to copy the files from this wii disc? I inserted the disc on my regular drive and there are no files in it as mine is not an LG drive so must I use an LG drive to copy the files? I don't own a wii btw so I need to make an iso of this disc somehow (it's also a dual-layered disc too)

If I need an LG drive which model or whatever do you recommend me?

I need to read the disc files, Copy the files in it somehow to another folder and make them an iso (I have imgburn installed) to play the wii game on PC (via emulator like Dolphin ofcourse)

btw the disc is an original disc not a copy or rip.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. dailun

dailun Regular member

I don't understand what you are exactly trying to do but as far as I can read, you don't/can't use dolphin with Wii discs. Besides, Dolphin barely works and it's a lot of trouble and space to store a Wii .iso.

Answers to your questions below.
    --------------------------
    Hi I heard in order to read a wii disc on PC is to get an LG drive is this true?

-->Yes, you need the "special drive" and Rawdump or Friidump. Windows will never be able to read the disc, even with the "special" drive.

Is there a way around this or must I buy an LG drive to copy the files from this wii disc? I inserted the disc on my regular drive and there are no files in it as mine is not an LG drive so must I use an LG drive to copy the files? I don't own a wii btw so I need to make an iso of this disc somehow (it's also a dual-layered disc too)

-->No, but there are alternate methods of backing up Wii games. In a PC you MUST use an LG drive. Quit trying if you don't have one. There are some alternate drives that MAY work, but you will have to do your own homework to find them.

If I need an LG drive which model or whatever do you recommend me?

--->LG-GDR8161, 8162, 8163, or 8164. they are no longer produces so you will have to buy on the secondary market (i.e. used or old stock)

This is only applicable to backing up Wii games using a PC. You need to ask the Dolphin people how to load games via PC.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Thread teleported from the DVD-ROM forum to the Wii forum

5. zork18

zork18 Regular member

You also can use a Wii to read the games as well. Using a software on homebrew such as Superdump http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=163598

What that program does is you can create backups just by using your Wii, you can put in your SD card (You can transfer them as 1GB and combine them on your computer later)

Here is the command before you ask: Using dos prompt commands: "copy /b 0.bin+1.bin+2.bin out.iso" <- joins 0.bin, 1.bin and 2.bin to make out.iso. Add more "+X.bin"s as needed"

6. dailun

dailun Regular member

Apparently this person doesn't have a Wii. Hence, the reference to Dolphin.

7. LavaWave

LavaWave Member

I got an LGL model GSA-4160B which I kept somewhere in my room, Should I install it and give it a try or this model won't work?

8. dailun

dailun Regular member