1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ready to dive into a 360 mod...

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by bakerster, Jan 22, 2008.

1. bakerster

bakerster Member

I have successfully modded my wii (wiikey.. self install) and have become and expert at backing up/burning games. Now I'm ready to delve into something a bit more intense.

I have a 360 premium that was manufactured on 2006-7-15. It has a Hitachi drive in it, and the manufacturing date suggests that it does not have the 79FK/FL firmware. I was led to believe this from (DVD Drive Database). No drives within my month of 360 have the fk/fl firmware.

I have a Sony Vaio Laptop, with a Pioneer DVD-K17 burner. It burns DL disks. I also have a 20 pack of Verbatim black DL disks.

After reading this thread I think that I can simply flash my firmware and I'll be good to go. Is this true? Do I need to get some crazy 'passkey' or other kind of modchip to be able to flash my DVD drive in my 360?

Will my Pioneer DVD-K17 be able to burn the 360 disks correctly? I read that the recommended drive is a DVR-117.. Mine seems to be the mobile version. Any confirmation on this?

Now, I also need to have the tools necessary to actually flash my drive. Here lies an issue. My girlfriend has a Dell computer that I would be able to install a Silicon Image SATA controller into, but I have found.. this. A mod service. I could send my 360 into them, and they will flash my firmware for me, for 60 dollars (+ $??? Shipping). Is it worth it? Or should I just buy the SATA controller ($25 Shipped), Xeno ($44 Shipped)?

Thank you everyone for your time!

2. bakerster

bakerster Member

does anyone have any information to help me with?

3. NserUame

NserUame Regular member

As far as your DVD drive you should be fine. People on this forum use everything from LG's to Pioneer and everything in between. Some drives can be a bit finicky but odds are in your favor that it'll work.

As far as sending your console in to get flashed I'd be hesitant. Everytime a firmware update comes along you'll have to either ship it out again or open it up anyways. Personally I'd get the SATA PCI card, skip the Xeno and flash with that route.

If you open up your console you'll be able to tell which version Hitachi you have, if it's not a Hitachi 78/79 you won't need any sort of chip or key just hook up the SATA cable and flash away.

4. bakerster

bakerster Member

what is the point of a xeno then anyway?

in the hitachi flash thread it says i need a xeno..

5. yzrider22

yzrider22 Regular member

The hitachi is easy as cake to flash,on the hitachi 78 you won't need a passket the 79 you will.Go to 360mods.net and there is a new updated guide for newbies 08 dl it,it will give you all the links you need to get it done.Plus they have videos and everything.

6. bakerster

bakerster Member

so I cracked open my 360 and it says I have a 79fk..

where do I go from here? where do I get the chip? is there a guide anywhere to install it?

7. yzrider22

yzrider22 Regular member

You can go divineo.com to get the key,and there is lots of guides on how to do it just google it.

8. bakerster

bakerster Member

if I get that key I can do a 9 or 11 wire solder instead of that little cable thing?

thats way too confusing although i know i can solder the wires...

once I do that, I just need to get my SATA card and then flash the drive?

9. bakerster

bakerster Member

better yet.. can I buy a replacement samsung/toshiba drive, install it in my 360, and basically use it like it was my hitachi?

10. drogomir

drogomir Regular member

Yor could do that but you still need the 79passkey to retrieve your key from the Hitachi 79 drive first before you can flash another drive to be used as hitachi. Becareful when you order your passkey that your order the one that works best for hitachi79fk not the one for hitachi 79fl.