1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ready to mod...Recommendations?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by smoke297, Jan 9, 2005.

1. smoke297

smoke297 Member

I have a Playstation 2 that is unmodded and after having Vice City get scratched bad enough not to play, I am ready to start making backups and using those instead of my originals. Anyways, I have done research on different mods (software vs. hardware) but cannot figure what is the best way to go. I have a modded XBOX and good web site to get unbiased information on various chips with a comparison chart of the different modchips. from (www.xbox-scene.com). Does anyone know of one for the playstation 2 or any recommendations for modding?

Just a couple of notes: 1) I would prefer solderless or one that is easy to solder. I am not mechanically inclined. 2) I have a SCPH-30001 Playstation 2 with the 8 screw layout. I believe this is an older version of PS2.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

2. jisleyjr

jisleyjr Member

I don't know of any site that compares the chips, there probably is one somewhere. Just shop around and do some reading.

I'd highly recommend a no swap modchip. I have a Magic V chip, i installed it over a year ago and i have not had a single problem with it or my station since. Put the disc in and it loads up, no swapping and waiting for this or that to happen.

I can't remember the number of wires, i think around 20ish.

Are ya fixin a car? No, you are not, its a couple of screws and some wires.

If it will be too hard for you just send it in somewhere and pay some one to do it.

Goodluck

3. motoxthor

motoxthor Guest

well it does take some doing to soler tiny wires to tiny points. very easy to bridge (lol my friend did it...BZZZ) well if u want an unbiased opinion on chips..ill give it to ya. ive got swap magic so ya...well personally i like the dms4 series. and probly the safest, surest way to go would be the E.Z.I. solderless chip. only downside about 80 bux. thats chips. swap magic works fine.

4. nrk4594

nrk4594 Regular member

au.geocities.com/sonica_psx/mod-compare.html

5. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

If you have never soldered insanely small points don't even try it. Swap magic would be the best way to go or send your PS2 out to be modded by a pro.