1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Real DVDs VS Backed Up DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by CKY_2084, Jan 28, 2005.

1. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

I was just wondering how come when you buy a DVD movie it has a kind of a golden bottom and when you burn a DVD you have the purple dye? Why cant we get high quality DVDs like the real movie studios use? Also on average how long will a backed up DVD stay on the disc(How long does it take on average for the DVD to turn into a frisbe because of dye problems?)

2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Retail dvds are pressed, not burned. So as far as dvd format goes, we're stuck with purple:)

As far as archival life goes, it is highly dependant on the quality of the dye and the manufacturer. When I first started out burning, I bought memorex, imation, and fujifilm dvd+rw. I had problems just getting a good burn, but after a few months, even my good burns started skipping and pixelating. High qaulity media like Taiyo Yuden purports to have an archival life of 100 years. While I can't say that I can verify that, I can say that the TY backups I made 6 months ago are still flawless.

3. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

But to be a little more to the point, if you use something like Taiyo Yudens for your backups, and store the dvds at room temp, they should last 50-100 years.