1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really frustrating problem.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Horiz, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Horiz

Horiz Member

Hi, yes it's me again folks!

I (somehow) fixed the problem of it not giving me the option to boot from CD, but now...wait for it...I can't actually press a button to boot from CD! (as in "press any key to boot from CD")

For some odd reason, it refuses to acknowlage I have a keyboard and just times out and attempts to boot a broken Windows, yay!

And yes, the keyboard does work, because I can spam DEL on the first loading screen to get into the settings (you know, the BIOS settings) and fully navigate around with arrow keys and enter etc.

Any clues? anyone?

Another thing worth noting is when it tries to boot Windows, it gives me the option of Normal, Safe mode etc (you know the menu) and I cannot navigate through that menu either, it's like it only registers my keyboard for the first screen when I turn it on.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  2. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

its a usb keyboard isnt it?

try a ps2 one.

3. steimy

steimy Active member

could be the above, but my USB keyboard and mouse work just fine on start up and it has no problems with the "press any key to boot from CD" option.

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

it's a wireless keyboard, isn't it?

5. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

Not remembering what exactly you have Horiz but some systems have trouble with a usb or wireless keyboard as suggested here. Some will work fine in bios setup because they have the capability, others don't. Do try a ps2 if your not running one right now. If you are running a ps2 will have to do some looking around with your specific board to figure what's going on. If you have a wireless be sure to check your batteries! :)