1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really laggy laptop. Did a bunch of stuff, need help now.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by daughters, Sep 27, 2007.

1. daughters

daughters Member

Hello, and thank you in advance. I have a laptop (Compaq Presario V5000.) I had terrible lag; when I had itunes open, and anything else running, the music would be really choppy. And things take forever to load, and it's all constant lag and choppiness. I know an error check on the C drive may be able to fix this, so I did that. From there, it got messed up and then the computer shut down and would not come back on. So I took it someone and they told me my RAM was fried or something, and my fan had tons of dust in it. So they cleaned it and replaced the RAM (I had an old laptop laying around with more RAM than the Compaq, so they were able to just use that RAM). So now the computer turns on and everything, but the original problem of lag comes back into play. It has terrible lag, like when itunes is open (after taking forever to load) the music is played choppy. I don't know what to do from here, so any help would be appreciated. I've run a defrag, and an error check. Thank you=/

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

how many processes do you have running? Do ctrl+alt+delete and then click on the processes tab, and make sure that the "show processes from all users" is checked, and then tell me what that number is. You should try to stay under 50, but i am well below that at 34 when windows loads.

This could also very well be a malware problem. Have you ran any registry defrags, or even tried running virus scanners recentlly? Try downloading HijackThis, and then run the scan, BUT DONT DO ANYTHING! A log will appear, and please copy this log and post it here.

3. daughters

daughters Member

At the moment there's only 44 programs running, and it is working fine playing music because all I have open is itunes, nothing else. I don't think it's a process problem, because it used to run fine, it was an all of the sudden thing. I've stopped programs taking up a bunch of memory at the time and it still lags. And, the people at the computer place did a complete scan and didn't find anything, and I ran them when the problems started and found nothing. At the moment, I'm leaning towards maybe something is permanently damaged? The people at the computer place I took it to said they cleaned out the fan because it was clogged terribly and was overheating, which would not let it start up or something along those lines. But I'll try the hijack this.

4. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Also, what are your pc specs?

5. daughters

daughters Member

Mobile AMD Sempron Processor 3100+, 1.79 Ghz, 480 MB RAM (I'm pretty sure it's up to 512 now because they put my old computer ram in, ATI Radeon Express 200m. If you need anything else, let me know. Thank you for all your time by the way!

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not enough RAM, get an extra 1GB.