1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really wierd "problem"

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jester48, Mar 24, 2004.

1. jester48

jester48 Member

I have an external Sony drx-510UL. When I play my official movies, they are very choppy (slowdowns, and choppy sounds, etc...). I then use dvd shrink on it and have an image on the hard drive. I then burn it onto a dvd-r, and pop it into the same drive. I can now watch the movie with no choppiness whatsoever. Does anyone know what the cause of this is?

It doesn't make sense to me that a copy of something that doesn't work 100% works 100%.

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

sounds to me like crappy media,you didnt mention what brand discs your using but what youve stated is classic signs of cheap dvdr's

3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi guys,

Jim, he's having probs with the originals, not the burned copys.

Externals seem to prone to problems during the ripping process but in this case its like your system is struggling with the encryption or the dual layer original disc.

Maybe if you can find a single layer DVD or an unencrypted one you can test this. Some of my older movies are unencrypted DVD-5s.

Frank

4. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

oh ok i really misread that one,must be past my bedtime.lol its past 1 am here
    gnight frank,jester :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]no matter where you go...there you are.
    you should never take life too seriously....you'll never get out of it alive!!
    if you can read this..you dont need glasses.[/small]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2004
  5. jester48

jester48 Member

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, it might be a double layer problem. I'm using USB 1.0 since I don't have 2.0 slots on my notebook. Maybe it's just not fast enough to keep up with the movie. I'll try using a dvd-5 movie, and see what the results are.

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

The USB 1 transfer rate is probably too slow like you stated. Hard to upgrade a Notebook..

Hi Frank, How's it going??

Jerry

7. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi again jester48,

You can get an adapter card like the one shown here for your laptop. USB 2.0 will give you a much faster transfer rate.
    I helped a guy out who had external optical drive problems and a card like this one solved his problems.

http://www.startech.com/ststore/itemdetail.cfm?ProductID=CBUSB220&topbar=topbario.htm

I'm surprised you haven't run into ripping problems using the USB 1.0! DVD Shrink is a pretty fine program. I'm just curious, what are your computer specs?

Hi Jerry,
    Things are going pretty good! I seem to have fixed my e mail problem, sort of. Been out riding a bit when the weather allows. Kinda stormy today, the lights were out when I got home from work, but I have a hand crank on the side of my computer, its just hard to type with one hand.

Anyway Amigo, other than that, things are wunnerful!
    Talk to ya later,
    Frank

8. jester48

jester48 Member

Well, my laptop is an hp pavilion ze5170. I'd imagine that it's fine ripping because it can rip at any speed, but while watching, it has to have information as it's being displayed. It's a long slow process for me to backup a movie though (over 3 hours). I only use this laptop while I'm in college, and I just got this burner, so that's why I was wondering if my burner was defective. It seems to run dvd-5 just fine. I've been thinking about getting a usb 2.0 cardbus, but I don't really have a use for it other than the dvd drive.

9. jester48

jester48 Member

Well, my laptop is an hp pavilion ze5170. I'd imagine that it's fine ripping because it can rip at any speed, but while watching, it has to have information as it's being displayed. It's a long slow process for me to backup a movie though (over 3 hours). I only use this laptop while I'm in college, and I just got this burner, so that's why I was wondering if my burner was defective. It seems to run dvd-5 just fine. I've been thinking about getting a usb 2.0 cardbus, but I don't really have a use for it other than the dvd drive.

10. jester48

jester48 Member

eh, sorry about the double post. I don't know how to delete it.

11. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Its your USB 1.1 causing the problems.
    You can edit your post by clicking on the tiny pencil and paper icon to the right of your posting date and time on the orange bar above the post you want to edit.

12. jester48

jester48 Member

ok, thanks. As long as the actual laser is ok in the drive. I think I'm just going to keep using the usb 1.0 while here at college (I have usb 2.0 highspeed in my desktop at home).