1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reason for ring of death

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by PAN5Y, Aug 1, 2007.

1. PAN5Y

PAN5Y Active member

Im not sure if most of u know so im going 2 go ahead and post it but this is the cause of the 3 red light error

[​IMG]

His explanation can be found in the responses to the recent interview with Microsoft's Todd Holmdahl.

"... the problem isn’t just with launch units. Of the 8 I’ve had so far, only 2 were manufactured in the first three months of launch. The last one I had red-ring on me was manufactured in November of ‘06 - a full year after launch.

The problem is that the cooling design of the 360 doesn’t hold up. The cooling of the CPU was well done, with a heat pipe to draw the heat away from the chip (and accordingly, away from the mainboard). The problem is that the GPU and its low-profile heatsink sit under the DVD drive, and are given a very narrow channel for air to be pulled acrosss the heatsink by the fans. When the GPU heats up enough, not only does it reflow the solder in the ball grid array slightly, it can cause the entire mainboard to flex - a phenomenon largely caused by the X-shaped brackets that hold the heatsinks on under the mainboard. They hold the heatsinks down to the chips with a tension fit that presses up directly underneath those chips.