1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

reauthoring in dvdshrink

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by merlin379, May 25, 2004.

1. merlin379

merlin379 Member

I'm wondering if im doing this right? let me know. If i go into reauthor and backup the movie only no menus or extras, will my video quality be 100% (no compression) even if i can only get the compression to say 60 something% on the "full disk" page? I hope that makes sense lol. thanks for the help. btw i am clicking backup while in reauthor mode.

2. RWG

RWG Regular member

No. The only time you'll get 100% on your video quality is when you backup a movie that is less than ~4.3Gigs. If DVD Shrink indicates your movie is at 60% that means it's only 40% compressed.

The setting under the Compression tab tell you what your compression level is. If you can remove enough 'stuff' in Re-author you can lessen your compression level.

Re-author is there for your personal editing purposes. I use Re-author to backup the Main movie, English audio and subtitles and any extras I think I'd like to see. Rarely do I include everything unless the DVD starts the movie without having to mess with 'menu navigation and remote clicking.'

Clear as mud? :)

3. RWG

RWG Regular member

Side note: Rarely do I ever notice any video degredation no mater what my compression level is. I don't start getting concerned about the compression level until it gets close to the 50% mark.

4. Discmania

Discmania Active member

To minimise the compression always remove all subpictures (subtitles) and audio tracks you do not need and always re-author to remove the extras. Although 60% is a high compression rate Shrink does a good job and I'm not suprised you notice little difference, though it does depend on the screen size you you use for playback

5. zarlaan

zarlaan Member

I'm having some bad luck then. Recently i've tried backing up a few movies like Resevoir Dogs, Tomb Raider: Cradle of Life and some others. Even if i do the reauthor mode and have just the movie itself with audio dvdshrink shoing no compression needed.

I still keep getting these movies and others to artifact and stutter during playback. I've got the sony 530dru internal 8x dvd burner with latest firmware. I've been using memorex 4x dvd-r and fuji-film 2x dvd-r.

6. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Playback problems like that are nearly always due to poor media. Try better quality discs such as Ritek G04 and take a look at the DVD-R media section.

7. Culley

Culley Guest

I recently backed-up a complete disc, menus and extras, at 61% in DVD Shrink. No problems whatsoever in playback and video quality is fine.

It does sound like a media problem.

8. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

I agree.
    I'm a newcomer to DVDshrink due to this forum, and it is seriously good.
    Your problem is the memorex media. They are one of the nastiest out there - constantly changing their suppiers to keep using the cheapest media they can find & then rebranding it.
    From a lot of experience, I can only recommend Verbatim DVD-R or Maxell DVD-R. No Other at all.
    This will ensure maximum quaity at all times, as both these always use high quality media. The Verbatim are apparently guaranteed for 100 years +, although you will have to check back with me in another 96 before I an confirm this for certain.

9. mikep56

mikep56 Member

Hi Zarlaan,
    I have been using the Memorex 4x dvd-r media for about a year and have burned over 50 backups without a single coaster. I would recommend that you burn to dvd-rw and verify that your movie plays OK before burning to a -r. This way if there is a hiccup you didn't waste a disk.
    Mike

10. Discmania

Discmania Active member

You may have been lucky with your Memorex discs as there have been many threads attesting to their poor quality. The most reliable discs for the price are either Ritek G04 or Verbatim. Have a look at the DVD-R media threads.

11. mikep56

mikep56 Member

Thanks Discmania,
    I'll check it out!
    Mike