1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

reboot and select proper boot device asus vista 64 bit

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by icemen, Sep 4, 2011.

1. icemen

icemen Regular member

Hey peepz

need some help. My pc has stopped working out the blue. when starting up i'm getting the above error and the pc is not booting up. I have a asus motherboard running vista 64 bit ultimate. I don't have a recovery disk. I have tried to boot up in safe mode but when I press the f8 key it only give me the option to pick which drive to load from but still get the same error what ever I pick, don't get the boot in safe mode option. checked the bios and the hard is showing but just doesn't want to boot up. I have tried change the sata cables to the hard drive but no joy. don't know what else to try.
    any help would be appreciated.

2. attar

attar Senior member

When you select the drive to boot from, immediately press f8 again to get the option to boot into safe mode.

3. icemen

icemen Regular member

Just tried this but no joy, still get the same error message. Any other suggestions?

4. attar

attar Senior member

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

you are pressing the f8 button to soon which is why it is giving you the drive list option. hit the esc button & press f8 button again.

6. icemen

icemen Regular member

i've tried that but i just a flashing cursor and nothing is happening for ages, it like the computer is working making all the noises but nothing happens. i have burned the recovery disk torrent shall i run that?

7. attar

attar Senior member

Boot from the CD, get past the language selection window then select 'R' for Repair.

8. icemen

icemen Regular member

what language section? if i boot from cd i just get the same error message. I put that cd in and it brings up the boot from safe mode screen which has loads of options i can choose from, it starts like it is installing a fresh new vista asking for the language but then stops ask for a driver which is missing
    also i think my c drive is nackered as it is not picking it up, i have another drive installed which only holds my personnal stuff like music and pics and it has that drive showing as my c drive and there is another drive x drive but not my old c drive which was 500g in size my second drive is 1tb so i know it is my second drive showing as my c drive now

9. icemen

icemen Regular member

think i should cut my losses & buy a newer faster hard drive & do a fresh install of a OS. Any Ideas? Any technical help would be appreciated as it's the first time i'm going to attempt. Would I need to be connected to the net to do the install, will the drive need to be formatted before I do the install & also will new drivers need to be installed & how?

10. attar

attar Senior member

Before that, I would be installing the HDD in another PC to see if it can be detected or downloading the ultimate boot CD to try and see that drive.

11. icemen

icemen Regular member

don't have another pc, do u know where i can download the boot cd from?

12. attar

attar Senior member

13. icemen

icemen Regular member

tried the recovery cd, the computer isn't picking my old hard drive at all. So i've bought a new hard drive should get it in a couple of days.
    Can some1 please help me install it & load a new OS on it?