1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rebuilding Ace Combat 5

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by 40ozKing, Apr 23, 2005.

1. 40ozKing

40ozKing Member

my copy of ace combat 5 won't play, with the following setup:

verbatim, sony, or ridata G04, all DVD-r
    windows xp
    toshiba sd-r5002 dvd-rw burning drive
    burning using dvd decryptor at 1X speed
    using swap magic v3.3 w/ the flip top

i put in SM3, then the ace combat copy, and it just spins really fast and makes a horrible loud noise

i sucessfully rebuilt mercenaries, so i figured i'd try the same method (http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/127255) with ace combat 5.

when i get to the part where you merge all the files togther into one .iso file using (using the same wethod as decribed, typing run, then cmd, etc), it skips one of the files....

these are the files that are generated from cdvdgen:
    ace.lst
    ace.000
    ace
    ace.002
    ace.003
    ace.004

now, the file the just says "ace", that's "ace.001" , when you point the mouse over "ace", but don't click, and the little creen pops up showing you file info, it tells me that the file type is .001, but it is just named "ace" instead of "ace.001".

so obviously, i renamed "ace" to "ace.001" and attempted to merge all of the files together, however, it doesn't include ace.001 in the merge. so i tried again using the original "ace" name, but the same thing happens, it doesn't include the file.

so anyone know why it's doing this, and what i can do to get this game backed up?

2. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

are you sure you didnt just get a bad burn the first time?
    I havent heard of this game needing a rebuild, im getting it this week though so ill let you know if mine boots ok when ive backed it up.

3. 40ozKing

40ozKing Member

i have tried multiple times with verbatim, sony, and ridata g04s

Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  4. 40ozKing

40ozKing Member

anyone know of a good program to merge the files togther, instead of using DOS?

5. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

this game does not need rebuilding, i have just done a workiong backup of the pal version.

6. 40ozKing

40ozKing Member

well, it definatly isn't working for me burning it like normal, maybe it doesnt need to be rebuilt, but it's worth a try

noone seems to be able to tell me what the problem is, it's definatly not the media

and i have the ntsc version, not pal

7. FreeGamer

FreeGamer Guest

Umm I have the NTSC version to..You can't rebuild cuz it will stay the same..But then I just made a copy with it using dvd decrypter..using maxell dvd-r burnt at 4x

8. 40ozKing

40ozKing Member

wtf? gotta be either my burning drive(its old, from 2002, but with updated firmware), or the ps2 itself, maybe the laser is going bad

i have the exact same problem with all of these games:

call of duty: finest hour
    constantine
    splinter cell:pandora tomarrow
    terminator 3: the redemption
    shellshock: 'nam 67

and san andreas will boot, but it cannot be played for more than 5 minutes without getting an "error reading the san adreas disc" message

it is definatly NOT an issue of media here. so does this sound like it could be a bad drive, or the ps2's laser beginning to wear out, or something else?

9. LiquidusX

LiquidusX Regular member

try a different burner

10. FreeGamer

FreeGamer Guest

It sounds like your PS2 laser! Check them out on eBay to purchase a new one...

11. nswolter

nswolter Regular member

the spinning really fast and scratching noises makes me wonder if the problem is not your flip top, or have you had it for a while? make sure your screws are tight so the top applies enough pressure down on the disc. i had no probs burning the game with decryp. latah

EDIT - o yeah, and if you cant get the screws tight enough (but not over tight) just put some weight on the flip top

Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  12. danbooke

danbooke Regular member

I don't know why you are rebuilding this game it doesn't need it. I burned it with Nero's copy disc function and it works fine.

13. 40ozKing

40ozKing Member

-"the spinning really fast and scratching noises makes me wonder if the problem is not your flip top, or have you had it for a while? make sure your screws are tight so the top applies enough pressure down on the disc. i had no probs burning the game with decryp. latah

EDIT - o yeah, and if you cant get the screws tight enough (but not over tight) just put some weight on the flip top"

the tightness on the flip top is irrelevant, i have many other backups that play fine

-"I don't know why you are rebuilding this game it doesn't need it. I burned it with Nero's copy disc function and it works fine."

i figured it would be worth a try.... and what works for you and many others is NOT working for me, i have now tried dvd decryptor and alcohol 120 to burn, nero won't makje a difference. i either have a ps2 laser problem, or a burner problem

-"LiquidusX (Member) 24. April 2005 @ 17:49
    try a different burner"

you say that like they are free...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005