1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recent Dirty Disc Errors Caused by IMGburn or Burner?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by 4channer, Feb 18, 2008.

1. 4channer

4channer Member

Recently I have been getting Dirty Disc Errors while trying to play games I have burned using IMGburn. I was using DVD-Decrypter before and Every game I burned using that program worked perfect, and still does. I am using the same media too.

For example, I had been playing Call Of Duty 4 a lot, and it still works, I burned it using DVD Decrypter, and to this day it works, but I just recently burned Lost Odyssey, and it dirty discs me left and right, so does Kingdom Under Fire, and Devil May Cry 4. Also the real copies work perfect, thusly, it has to be the way they are being burned.

I have stripped my Toshiba-Samsung drive and cleaned it, tweaked the laser using a POT calibration tutorial, checked for errors or problems with the motor as well and nothing is wrong with it.

So here are the questions:

Does burning with IMGburn do something different than DVD-Decrypter, as in the with the settings?

Is there a sub-setting I need to change, or perhaps a way I can test copies I already burned for errors?

Another culprit could be my burner, which I just bought too, the timing also corresponds with the 360 giving me the Dirty Disc Errors. So is there some setting I can tweak on my burner?

2. tcs614

tcs614 Member

i could be wrong, but i think burning the games at a lower speed will reduce the chances of that error. I burned madden 08 at max speed and it does tend to get the dirty disc error more often than any of my other games. So try that, and if that doesnt work try image burn.

3. 4channer

4channer Member

Well, I always burn at 2.4x, so I don't think that is the issue..

4. E_Pizza

E_Pizza Regular member

okay well you've tried to fix it which is good... to find out the actual issue you'll need to use the process of elimination.

I won't be able to tell you exactly why but here are some suggestions.

- You haven't stated what media?.. verbs work best with MKM-001 dye
    - Have you tried another burner say on a friends pc..
    - What about trying a friends xbox?

Although maybe people say speed is an issue when burning games i have found in my experience anyway it makes no difference to my burns. I've burned at 2.4x and got a sluggish read from the disc and burned at 8x and it was fine.

What DOES make a real difference is your media that much i can say. And no i highly doubt the program you are using is causing it because.. IMGburn is almost exactly the same as dvd decrypter just a more updated version as i understand the real author had legal issues with the program. So was forced to discontinue it and erase from the net, but correct me if im wrong it has continued to be developed by someone else under a different name.

I assume when you done the POT calibration you measured it checking the ohms and experimented to see what worked best with your drive?

When you say timing corresponds with the 360 giving you DDE's could you explain that a bit further?

5. 4channer

4channer Member

The media I have always used is Memorex DVD-R DL which always works perfect. Verb's work perfect as well but have drastically better loading time as I have seen on a friends 360. I have indeed tried my copies on a different 360 and they work perfect. Which was the reason I did the POT calibration thinking that was the problem.

Calibrating the laser seemed to be the only thing that made my 360 actually work, it wouldn't even pick up on my new burns until I did it. Also the DDE's started occurring when playing Kingdom Under Fire which was the first new burn created with my current setup. Then just got more frequent from there.

As for timing, what I mean is, the three most recent games I have burned were all with my new burner, and all using IMGburn, and they all have the DDE issue, whereas Call Of Duty 4 is still working perfect, as I have been playing it the last hour. I have also gotten Devil May Cry 4 to work but it revolves around the 360 detecting it on startup. Sometimes I just get the "Unplayable Disc" label and have to restart.
    By the way, my drive I use to burn is an "LG: HL-DT-ST DVD-Ram GSA-H54L" with light-scribe, and I am using IMGburn v2.3.2.0.

6. steimy

steimy Active member

Well one thing to try would be to do the same game that failed to work correctly with IMGburn and do it again on the same media and burner using DVD Decrypter. If it works then i would say your system must have some small conflict with IMGburn.

The two programs are made by the same people and the settings on them are pretty much identical. If you are booktyping media on one and not the other then that can make a difference as well.

But if you burn them again with DVD Decrypter and the game then works fine i would say just continue to use that and do not worry about it. Go with what works.

7. 4channer

4channer Member

Oh yeah..I forgot about the booktype settings..this may be what my problem is, I will mess with that, and then burn another copy of something and see what happens. Just need to go purchase some media. I'll post with results.

8. 4channer

4channer Member

Okay, I am going to go grab some more media sometime today. Can anybody give me a little more information on setting the booktype in IMGburn? I know it has something to do with setting it according to what you want your machine to think it's reading. However, I am not to sure whether I set the booktype according to what type of burner I am using, or what type of drive the media will be going in to.

9. steimy

steimy Active member

It is just like DVD Decrypter. You click the little book icon by the speed setting. Then you choose what you want to change from (which would be DVD+R DL) and then what you would change to (which is DVD-ROM).

Mind you that this can only be done with burners that can actually booktype media, not all can.

Why this is done is for compatibility. Original pressed game discs are in DVD-ROM format so you are just doing the copy in the same format as an original.

10. 4channer

4channer Member

Oh, that is very useful information. Thank you. Sadly I still haven't got my DVD's yet due to work and other outstanding issues. Still it is on my top priority list to inform everybody of what happens when I make these changes.

11. 4channer

4channer Member

Update:

I just booktyped as DVD-ROM and burned at 2.4x using IMGburn on Memorex media. The game wouldn't work the first time, I just got the unplayable disc message. So I rebooted the 360 I put in the first DVD of Lost Odyssey, and it actually works. The laser is making a weird crackling sound, but it works. So thanks, I guess I have staved off death for a short while. w00t. Although now I know that there is still <i>something</i> wrong with the laser I may at least get a little more playability out of it and more time to buy a new 360. Thanks again for the help everybody. =)