1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recent error burning with NERO 6 after using recode...

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by nuts4coke, Dec 30, 2004.

1. nuts4coke

nuts4coke Member

For almost a year now I have been using ANYDVD to get past the encryption, recode to do the 're-authoring' of a DVD, and NERO burning rom (now version 6) to make backups of my dvd's.

Long story short, I just tonight got an error message with NERO burning ROM telling me the compilation was too big to fit on the disk.

I'm using MEMOREX DVD+R's, and this is about the 30th one from a spindle. I had a successful burn (not to mention the previous 200+ sucessful burns) just three weeks ago, and now this.

I've seen some things about changing the SIZE in recode, telling it 4300 or 4400 MB, instead of the default DVD-5 4.7GB that's in the menu. But I am having difficulty in understanding why this is happening.

Funny thing is, a freind of mine just earlier today told me of the same problem, so I decided to see if mine was doing it, because my setup is working fine. He was getting the exact same thing. (I even told him "I haven't had one problem in 200+ burns, knock on wood!", and yet here I am)

Any clues, anyone, on this problem?

2. TuVan

TuVan Member

try different software... that would help a lot, i had the Nero too, it didn't work well for me, so i switched to InterVideo Copy

3. nuts4coke

nuts4coke Member

Okay, it's possible you didn't read my complete thread. I have used that setup for over a year, and at present count, 257 discs backed up, everything from full dvd's with menu's, just the main titles, and even episode discs, all without a problem. Now, all of a sudden, a friend says his stopped working after 150+ discs, so I do a backup, and mine is doing same thing.

I'm wanting to know if other NERO RECODE (or DVD Shrink - same program), NERO Burning ROM, and ANYDVD users out there are experiencing the same thing, what they are burning, when it happened (i.e. after 100, 200, 300, etc. discs), and if any possible system changes, or a 'push' from NERO over the internet is screwing up this software.

I think it may be possible that an update from NERO is rendering this stuff inoperable for some reason. Well, not INOPERABLE, but changing an algorithym or something that is making it look like recode is doing enough compression, but when you go to burn, it says there's not enough room on the disc.

I'm ruling out the posibility of bad discs, because I've successfully used several brands and speeds with my set up, and this is the 30th disc, out of a 50 disc spindle, and this problem showed up. I don't think it's disc's.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2004
  4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Well you're soooo good that you have decided that Memorex is good where hundreds of users all over this and other forums have proved time after time that Memorex is of extremely poor quality (after all, it's made by CRC - but then you already know that) and cannot be trusted.

Well "little "O" me" can't argue with an expert of that caliber - I'll just watch and let you come up with your own answer -

Happy New Year -

Pete

5. nuts4coke

nuts4coke Member

Okay pete, happy new year to you too, and...

all I said was this batch happens to be memorex. My friend is having problems with some Ritek manufactured discs, which I used with this same complilation with the same 'not enough room' results. That's why I'm ruling out a bad disc (but thanks for your derisive response anyway.)

I fail to see where in my post you think I point out anything resembling memorex being the be all end all disc. I'm just saying, and I think the point is made, that I have literally 250+ discs, of all makes and manufacturer's, and have never seen this "not enough disc space to burn compilation' error message from NERO. And only did i notice it after a friend (well versed and experienced with this DVD backup stuff) mentioned he's seen a problem with a recode target of DVD-5 4.7GB not being suitable (all of a sudden) for NERO.

I found an immediate work around by going to a 'custom' target size in recode of 4400, and have not seen the problem again. I'm just trying to get more information from other users who backup in the same manner (ANYDVD, Recode 2, and NERO 6) to see if this 'not enough room' thing is being experienced by others. I don't need advice to go to intervideo. Im trying to understand the problem, not band-aid fix it.

If you can't offer me 'constructive' criticism, maybe you should just stand aside and watch.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2005
  6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

nuts4coke,

I wanted to answer but you already stated, not once but 2X -

and again,

Having seen this problem 100's of times, especially with Memorex. How then do you expect an honest answer - you've completely ruled out what many others didn't - the discs.

The reason you got -

Is because Nero is smart enough to tell you the problem rather than just provide you with a nice, shiny new coaster -

It was obvious that saying anything about Memorex being a crappy media would have certainly been met with hostility because you stated so emphatically it was the one thing it could not be.

Actually, that is in fact, the major problem with 90% of the Memorex manufactured by CMC - an extremely poor dye /dye application resulting in wasted disc surface area and memory.

The dye "feathers" to and away from the disc edge (mostly away).

The recommendation is to adjust your "target size" to 4360MB but you're probably close enough so it doesn't make that much difference. That suggestion is to help pple get over the rough spots (their current supply) until they can purchase a decent quality media.

Along with the poor dye app, the dye itself is also of poor quality.

We all know that data, music and video backups on CD's and DVD's will last forever, well, if not forever for at least 100 yrs or so - That's what we've read and I believed and that's why we backup our treasures to disc, so that they'll be safe. "BLAaaaT" (the bone chilling sound of an emergency air horn), Wrong, Dead Wrong ! Don't throw the originals away, you may very well need them. Your video camera tapes and family picture CD's and DVD's, may not be there the next time you want to look at them. "Point of fact," inferior discs have a tendency to "Break down]" in time. In a very short time, we're talking disc can breakdown in less than a single year, in as little as 6 to 8 months.

This article was written about CD discs but DVD discs are exactly the same. I was miss-informed and this opened my eyes. Perhaps you'll find it as important as I did.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/story.jsp?story=513486

I have had about 40 backups that have refused to play after being stored for a year or more. I test all of my backups when they are burnt to be very sure that there are no problems. "In the Golden, Olden times," before I knew any better, the Memorex, Maxell's and professional "Store Brand" discs (and any thing that was on sale) was what used before I switched to Ritek, RICOH and Verbatim (Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.).

It is the poor quality stuff that I have been experiencing my trouble with. I noticed that backup DVD's I had, refused to play in my standalone player and on my PC. VOB files wouldn't play either and other discs that I backed up about the same time would "Freeze" part way through the movie. After switching to Verbatim and Ritek's, mostly the Ritek's because the price was right, I've not had 1 go "Flat" in over 1 ½ years. I still have some backups about 90 of them done on the "cheap stuff" and, as time wears on I lose a few more as I attempt to check them. I say to you, why did a backup play fine the end of "02"and "03" then "fail" in "04 ?? Some that were done in "03" never made it till "04" (it took me some time to learn, lol) Most of my backups from around March of "03" were done on the "good Stuff" and they still work fine today - not a single failure ! What about now ? Well in a very short time when the calendar changes to 2005, I'm going to run the rest of them through. It's been too long and I don't want to run the risk that I've lost an original OR one has been borrowed and never returned (like that's never happened, Huh ?). I want my discs back and 005 is the year -

Don't go through what I did, protect your investment.

Let's face it - that's a lot of information for someone who has stated right up front, "I'm ruling out the possibility of Bad discs."

Asking a question without closing your mind so totally against any one thing may gain you more than by closing off any possibility -

Maybe next time - OOohh but you'd rather I stand by and watch ?

Truthfully, I would rather not argue with someone who has researched their work before coming to a conclusion -

When you can come with an open mind instead of with preconceived notions, helping you will be easier for pple to deal with.

Pete :)

7. nuts4coke

nuts4coke Member

Okay, well, seems we are arguing symatics here, which my wife says I do all the time, and maybe I didn't make myself very clear. I tried that 30th disc (of the memorex spindle)I mentioned with no luck, then after explaining to my friend of the same thing, he gave me, to try, verbatim, and a phillips DVD+RW, all three with the same results. This is what led me to beseech help here.

I'm glad you mention those other discs in your arsenal, if you had to back up today, I take it you'd go with the Ritek? Even for those tresured family photos, videos etc...?

Also, what's the secret, if any, to discovering the origins of a spindle of discs (i.e. manufacturer) without 'gambling' and getting home to run a disc through something like DVD Identifier? Can I be comfortably sure that MCC is making the Ritek stuff, the RICOH stuff, etc....

and if you would care to not sit and watch, but rather enlighten, I'd like some direction in getting a good deal, like through meritline.com?!? We here in North Dakota, spend our frigid friggin' winters at our computers, and not shopping in our oft pathetic stores in town for a good deal on anything tech related. I tend to favor newegg.com, for most things, but would like to find good reliable DVD Media for more personal (irreplacable) items than my DVD collection.

Over 30 hours of home video on Hi8 need to be captured, and transferred from tape to DVD. Looks like I've got my winter cut out for me ;)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

It's not just any Ritek it's their G04's that we recommend -

Me, I like the +R media and I go for the RiData - and yes I use both for my backups. My other favorite is Verbatim DataLife and DataLife PLUS

As you see, we name those exact types that have the dye and app that are among the top in quality.

Here's what I use - The DVD Identifier

http://www.mediamatch.de/medien.php

MEDIAMATCH DIRECTIONS

use "WorldLingo" and BableFish" to translate the German to English :)

If you don't have those, all you have to know is -

Down in the lower right-hand corner, under "Erweiterte Suche" you'll see "Offerer:" where you look for your disc's name and, under that "Hersteller:" which means Manufacturer. Select one OR the other to use.. To the right of those you'll see an arrow and the word, "Anzeigen" which means Next - Again, choose the disc's name OR the manufacturer and click "next". On the next page, you'll see a group of media, select which media you wish to check up on and click the arrow with the "search icon" on the right and that will supply you with a break-down of each disc, i.e.,Dye and Manufacturer, in the DataBase..

After all of that, enough will be in English so that you won't have that much trouble -

http://www.mediamatch.de/showdvdanbieter.php

A good grade, Hi-quality media is needed for DVD reproduction ! RiData, Sony, TDK, "Branded" Ritek G04's or "Branded" Verbatim Data Life, Verbatim DataLife plus, Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi or RICOH are excellent bets. Among the better discs we're looking for, any media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO" - BUT it must say "METAL" AZO !, this indicates a superior dye and dye application on a good composite disc, while they are sometimes a bit "pricey" they are just the type of media we're looking for to do our DVD backups, Prices online from Meritline.com OR Newegg.com have gotten Ritek G04 starting at about a $ .45 (USD) a disc -

For DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media or even average media is a gamble, some people win BUT the majority lose, they lose varying amounts true but, they still lose :-(

If you need some help, we'd be glad to help - You're going to be supprissed at how much difference good media makes :)

Pete "P)

9. nuts4coke

nuts4coke Member

When using something like DVD identifier, does the disc read just the inner band of information on the disc?

What I am getting at is this; theoretically, could the disc not have but half of the material sprayed on, say the inner half, and the disc thinks it's a full disc, but won't actually write anything passed the point of the material that stores the data?

Am I making sense? Sorta like if I scratched the disc towards the outter edge, badly, but only need to save 1 gb of data on it, it would still work, correct?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2005
  10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

nuts4coke,

I'm not sure anyone knows exactly what you're getting at BUT the closest I'll come is:

When you write on a disc, it will begin writing on the inside first and the outside last.

It has nothing to do with spraying the inside with one dye and the outside with another and having a code reading the good dye but not the bad dye ?

I will say, I've never run across THAT question before -

Pete

11. nuts4coke

nuts4coke Member

Okay, well... my question didn't say anything about spraying one dye half way, and then spraying another the rest of the way. It's amazing you pulled THAT out of it...

What I was getting as is this:

If I put a blank DVD into my drive, it only matters that the information on the very inside of the track be good in order for the DVD identifier program to read it. Is that correct? So basically I could stick a peice o crap disc in, with barely any 'recordable' area to it, or even one with a big gouge, crack, scratch, etc... towards the outside of the disc, and DVD identifier would still read it as a good disc as long as the inside portion of this disc was intact, and as good as new. Is this a correct assumption?

If so, would it also mean that I could take this 'theoretically half-bad' disc, and still record data to it, even though it wouldn't read correctly later once the burn was done, because of the disc being damaged? A 'burn' program doesn't check the quality of ths disc before it tries to burn as long as the inside portion of that disc is 'healthy'. Is this all reasonable to assume?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Very good question -

The "spray" thing was that somehow I thought you wanted to do something to 1/3 of the disc

Now that I finally have my head around what your asking I believe you are right. I don't know of a program that can tell if the disc has a gouge or whatever. BUT since I hadn't given it thought - tomorrow I'll "bugger up" a disc and begin trying different proggys to see I can find one.

I'll set this thread aside and report back -

Cheers,

Pete