1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recommend an external hard drive

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by xcmbm, May 7, 2014.

1. xcmbm

xcmbm Member

Hi all

I'm planning a 1TB External hard drive. Can anyone recommend the one that is easy to use, no software needed, and durable. thank you in advance

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  2. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

How much do you want to spend? External on the desk or portable?

Try looking at some reviews on Newegg or Amazon. Western Digital and Seagate come to mind. And others. Look for the Best Ratings with the highest number of reviews.

I personally have a Toshiba pocket size 500gb HD. Just plugs in and out via usb.

3. attar

attar Senior member

I have two 3.5 inch HP external enclosures (actually Western Digital green inside).
    They're 1 TB and 2TB and have been running 24/7 for two years connected to my desktop.
    I also have a 1 TB WD 2.5 inch Passport connected to a WD media player for eighteen months without any problems.

4. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

I currently have WD elements 2tb and only issues i had is files got locked (windows 7 issue not the actually hard drive).
    I also have an acer 650 gb that just uses usb.
    no major issues with either of them so far.

personally depends on where your buying it from i'd look at more than 1tb i noticed its only $10-$50 extra to get 2tb or more.

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

If drive is for intermittent use i.e turned on every now & again then any drive will do,if however its for continuous use & on most of the time you'll need to spend a bit more & get a hitachi or seagate barracuda or some other slightly higher end drive,you'll also want one that has a decent warranty

As for size you should get pretty much the largest you can afford,you'll also need to look at size & cost per GB,over here a 1tb is the same price for a 2tb,tho both will be green drives or some other low end device