1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recommend me a mod chip

Discussion in 'PS2' started by d-bol, Dec 12, 2003.

1. d-bol

d-bol Member

Okay I currently use a slide card with swap magic cd. I am thinking of buying a mod chip. I can solder decent and have all the gear.
    Or a non solder chip would be fine too.

Also can the mod chip support ARMAX for using codes with the backups without using the swap disks.
    Thanks in advance

2. SoCalSRH

SoCalSRH Regular member

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  3. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Magic V is also a good choice. DMS 3 blows it away, however, the tolerances on the installation specs are so demanding that it's a much more difficult chip to install. The Magic V does a great job of booting just about anything you put in the disc tray although it doen't have all the non-booting related goodies the DMS 3 has.

4. kingofrap

kingofrap Member

Magic 3.2 from http://www.modchip.ca < an autharized dealer of magics so you can be sure its not a clone or a Magic 5 or Magic 5 50k. Those seem to be the best priced and best reliablity mod chips.

5. grywolf

grywolf Member

My old ps2 (version 1 finally died - bought it the first day they came out) I've been using swap magic disks and a flip top - am thinking about getting a chip instead...I've read two different things - 1st even chipped PS2's require boot disks and 2nd - that a lot of mod chips will boot CDR, DVDR backups without a boot disk? Which is right?

6. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

Any mod chip that you solder to the ps2 don't need a boot disc (that is the whole point). The no solder mod chips require the boot disc.

7. Supreme

Supreme Member

If you are going to solder it in yourself I would suggest the DUO chip. It is cheap ($20 USD)and only has a 17 wire installation. The boot rate is just like messiah 2. I have installed about 100 of these and they work great.

8. d-bol

d-bol Member

I ordered a DUO chip. Any trips on installing it?

9. Supreme

Supreme Member

The toughest part of a duo installation for a newb would be the bios. Get some flux paste, 30 awg wire and a decent soldering iron. Also get some soldering braid just in case you need to clean up. Take your time and do not rush. Remember the way you took your ps2 apart so that you can put it back correctly. Thats it. good luck.