1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommended Drives

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by kojak, Oct 11, 2003.

1. kojak

kojak Member

I am consifering buying a DVD-R drive. There are 2 modles I've been looking at, but I can't seem to find good reviews for either. I'm looking for feedback on either of these 2 drives.

GSA-4040B - LG Super Mulit DVD Writer
    DVR-106D - Pioneer 4X DVD+/-RW Combo Drive

2. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

I have two drives in two different computers.
    Pioneer DVR-A06 and Plextor 708A.
    I use the Plextor for work (back-ups) and it's very good, I think it's the best drive around. It's a bit expensive but I needed a 8x drive.
    About the Pioneer now, it is just awesome. I have written about 40 DVDs so far, without a single problem, even using no-name media. I haven't wasted any blank DVD for any reason. So I highly recommend this drive to anyone who asks.
    Note that 106D you write is the bulk version of A06 and I suggest you don't buy it, because the difference of the price when I bought it was about 30e and the including software (Pinnacle Studio 8 SE and Instant CD/DVD) cost more than that!
    So what I suggest is that:
    Plextor 708 if you don't care about spending money.
    Pioneer DVR-A06 as the best value.

3. kojak

kojak Member

Afonic...
    You mentioned the software bundle (Pinnacle Studio 8 SE and Instant CD/DVD), I was wondering if you use the bundled software, and if its worth the extra expense?

4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

No the bundled software is not worth having !

I have had a Pioneer 104 for a few yrs now & it will burn on ANY media : )

Pioneer 106 is only £110 , so the price makes it the best buy.
    It would be nice to have a X8 burner like the Plextor but it is highly expensive & X8 media is another issue.

Software need for DVD Back Ups :
    DVD Decrypter
    DVD2One
    Nero

or

DVD Shrink
    Nero

DVD Decrypter & DVD Shrink are freebies. You can of course use different burning prog instead of Nero but its my personal fave !

Last edited: Oct 13, 2003
  5. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Well I use the software included but not for DVD back-ups.
    For someone who has not a software like Nero there is no need to buy, Instant CD/DVD does the job and if he wants to capture from a camera the studio is good.
    Anyway I said that the software that the drive has is worth the bigger price, if you use them or not is your choice!

6. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Instant CD/DVD is rubbish & has been well documented on aD for users having nightmares with it so...hence my remark(s)

You can pay upto £40-£50 more for retail box version of drive over OEM & to me thats a BIG waste of money

7. MysticE

MysticE Active member

If InstantCD/DVD includes Pinacle's InstantCopy 8, you'll be getting the best app out there for squeezing down your discs. It's video quality is the best... bar none.

8. Telstar

Telstar Member

Without considering the DVD-RAM feature, the GSA-4040B is just an average dual format burner in a crowded market. If the 3X DVD-RAM feature is essential, then consider the LG model, otherwise consider either the Pioneer DVR-A06/106D or the NEC ND-1300A if the Plextor PX-708A is out of your budget. I know there are quite a few satisfied LG GSA-4040B owners, but most of them don't even know what DVD-RAM is and some do not burn -R discs at 4X, yeah right, so their opioions really count something.

9. MysticE

MysticE Active member

The LG seems to do everything the NEC and Pioneer drives do and usually quicker from dead start to finish. Ritek 2x and 4x media (some of the best, cheapest and widely available under many brand names discs) burn at their stated speeds and are error/drop off free. When it comes to ripping DVD's it leaves them in the dust. Waiting on the Pioneer to rip a DVD is real drag, forcing many to buy a DVD Rom. If they would supply the LG with InstantCopy 8 instead of B's, it would be even better. And the -RAM capabilities (although a bit slow burning), come in very handy. The OEM NEC is cheap and a good value and should appeal to those who would use DVDShrink as opposed to paying $35 for the superior video quality that InstantCopy 8 provides.

10. OAKside24

OAKside24 Regular member

How are those Sony/etc. drives at Best Buy and everywhere for [bold]$149.00[/bold]? (or around that) Does the price tell all? I'm not sure on the number, thy're easy to find and yall probably know what I'm talkin about anyway if you get the Sunday paper._X_X_X_X_X_[small]--Ares Galaxy-- try THIS out (C|net)
    tjmac aka OAKside24 aka Clefland Chowders[/small]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2003