1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommended DVD Drive for ripping

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by solo606, Feb 28, 2004.

1. solo606

solo606 Member

Hello all,

I have recently sold my Pioneer 106 and purchased a Plextor 708. I had Hacked firmware on the Pioneer to achieve a faster rip. I am planning on buying a DVD-Rom for to mainly rip with. Can anyone offer any suggestions on a good drive with a faster rip than my Plextor?

Thanks

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The Lite On 166S is an outstanding ROM for ripping and can be had for $30. It will get up to just over 14X on a single-layer disc and does very accurate DAE to boot. I love mine and there'd be a bloody fight if someone tried to take mine!

I'm not sure if you're aware of this but the 708 has a SpeedRead function (p. 27 in the manual) that unlocks the reading - mine gets up to 12X on single-layer DVDs. All you do is when the tray is closed and empty you hold the eject button in for three seconds causing the light to blink green three times and the tray to eject- now SpeedRead is enabled. The only downer is that it gets disabled when you eject the disc so it has to be done each time before you rip.

Even though the 708 can do this, I still prefer to do my ripping and playing with my ROM to save wear and tear on my more expensive drives :)

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gigabyte 8INXP, Intel P4HT 3.06
    Mushkin 1024 MB PC2100
    Sapphire 9800 Pro
    Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium/LTD-166S
    M-Audio Revolution 7.1
    "And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33[/small]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2004
  3. solo606

solo606 Member

Thanks for the info, I was actually looking at the Lite-on 166s. So that is the one I am going to go with.
    As for the Plextor, I had no idea about that nifty little feature. I guess I should RTFM next time.

Once again Thanks for the info/help....

Cheers!

4. jrouss

jrouss Member

Nephilim, could you answer a question please on the speedread function? Could enabling the speadread function effect ripping speeds? The reason I ask is I have gone through two TDK 840Gs and they ripped much slower than a generic drive I have and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why. Perhaps this has something to do with it.

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Replied to pm, jrouss :)

6. Deznaj

Deznaj Regular member

It's not one of the newest models (I think), but my Toshiba SD-M1712 gets great ripping results!

Most disks get to 3-6x and some even above 13x, this depends stronly on the DVD however. But it seems to rip everything without trouble! Compared to this one my old pioneer sucked!