1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommended DVD Retailers - DVD-R or DVD+R?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Ryder, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Ryder

Ryder Member

Hi,

Recently got an NEC 3500a DVD burner and are looking to buy some blank DVD's, however; 1. I'm not sure what format I'll require, I mean, what's the difference between +R and -R? Are there any benefits of one or the other? 2. I'm looking to burn movies, and watch them on my Ps2 (worst comes to worst I'll buy a DVD player) so is either recommended for this? And finally will 8x media work on my ps2? 16x seem too expensive compared to 8x, so I'm looking to get them.

Oh yeah, and I'm in the UK so negwegg? and the other retailers aren't really that practical, any decent Uk sites?

Appreciate any help, or questions answered!

-Ryder

2. paul5619

paul5619 Member

ive been using www.cd-rmedia.co.uk
    they seem to be one of the cheapest,deliver next day and there carriage is lower than alot of others.
    ive been buying verbatim 8x data life and they have all been great.

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey rider, You have the pleasure of burning both formats, +/- unlike myself. There are many differences between both formats. It's like scubapete would say, It's the difference between vhs and beta. There is a slower burn rate on some dual format burners like plextor when they are using - . You shouldn't have that issue with your nec3500a.I have heard the + can hold a little more? Don't know if it is true.On the question of burn speed, I don't go over 4x, to eliminate possible errors. But on the newer drives, their quality to burn this speed should be better.In my opinion,if it doesn't tick anybody off,Is what are you going to view most of your backups on? You said you have a ps2. A friend of mine burns dvds and ps2 games. He prefers the - format.His ps2 is picky, He can't even use sony media-go figure that one out.He uses - tdk. The compatabity issue between Your pc backups and the players you play them on will be the test. That is why I said you have the pleasure of both formats.More flexibility. I'll be there some day. If you do happen to have to buy another stand alone, get 1 that will play most formats: +r/rw,-r/rw. If it don't play your backups when you buy it, take the sucker back for another. Just a little lesson I learned the hardway on my

, "stand alone burner". Branded verbatim +8x are my preferred choice for both my pc and standalone burning. Just a little info for ya, have a super great day!