1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommended Gaming Graphics Card for Dell Optiplex 740

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by didz04, Dec 3, 2012.

1. didz04

didz04 Guest

Hi as the title mentions could you recommend a good graphics card for gaming and watching hd videos. My dell optiplex 740 is the tower version so I think I should be able to fit a reasonable size in.

I played Crisis 2 at my relatives house and really enjoyed it so which would run in at a reasonable resolution, doesn't have to be soo high but somewhere in the middle.

Thanks

2. didz04

didz04 Guest

Would I require a low profile graphics card or could I run the high power end graphics cards? At the moment I have the standard dell psu fitted but on the side I have the Octigen 400w or 450w but I'm sure its 400w minimum. It doesn't say on the power supply but I remember seeing it on the box.

3. didz04

didz04 Guest

Ram: 2.5gb but looking to upgrade to a minimum of 4gb.
    CPU: 64 X2 2.0Ghz Amd Athlon 3800+ dual core

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

12. Repeated posts to increase total number of posts is not allowed. Especially if your message is the last in the thread, edit it rather than post a new message.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487
    according to this link ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_optiplex_desktop/optiplex-740_user%27s%20guide_en-us.pdf 305W DC power supply

5. didz04

didz04 Guest

Sorry it came to me to put the other details down so I just quickly posted it without editing.

ok thanks for the link. Are there any recommendations to which graphics card I can have for my computer which would be good for gaming?

Thanks

6. ddp

7. megadunderhead

megadunderhead Regular member

there is a issue with that model of dell listen and listen good you have the low profile case right i have the same machine there is only 1 graphics card that works its a 512 meg Ati radeon 5424 hd and only dell sells it its power supply specific graphics card for that machine because you cannot upgrade the power supply in this model i found this out the hard way when i smoked a 1 ghz card dont ask it wasnt pretty

Bad news though 159.00 for the card and you still cant run crisis because you need a 1 gig graphics card in order to play it correctly

go to www.dell.com click on there support section and look under parts and accessories for the model you have you can order the card there

8. ddp

didz04, http://www.crysisdemo.com/crysis-system-requirements.htm

megadunderhead, can put in non-powered videocard into that tower with 1gig of ram. can use a radeon 6450 with vga, dvi & hdmi outputs on it. also comes with to small brackets that can be exchanged with current full height bracket. i've got 2 of those cards, 1 in my xp computer & the 2nd in my win7 computer.

9. megadunderhead

you can't that model of card requires a 300 watt power supply and cannot be used with that model of dell all though a great idea if dell didn't rig that models power supply it wouldn't be a issue the one i recommended from dell is low power only 150 watts which is needed for that model of computer

10. megadunderhead

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=DELL740-SFF-RCD-B

Here is the case he is dealing with the machine has a pci express slot in it but it doesn't have a power plug to plug into the graphics card and worse still the power supply is dell rigged there is no upgrade because it is a odd shape power supply and i do mean odd shaped.

11. ddp

how do you know that is his as he states he has the tower version? also he states he has either a 400w or 450watt whereas the box for my videocard state 400w.

12. megadunderhead

it's not that it's a 400 watt power supply dell dropped to 300 watts after the processor and the hard drive which sucks this is why the card has to be 150 watts or less it sucks on mine it took me 2 years to find one that worked outside of dells price range but it was the one that cooked as well because it was pulling so much power off of the power supply you couldn't run the cd drive and the graphics card this is why this machine was designed for Bussiness use not really designed for home use or gaming the optiplex 740 was sold as a small business machine with windows vista business edition on them they run windows 7 quite nicely for the most part but just hope your not gaming on it because it wont handle it without a graphics card upgrade.

13. ddp

then why is there a video slot on the motherboard?

14. megadunderhead

because they want you to go back to dell and purchase a certain monitor graphics card so they make 150.00 plus shipping from you it sucks i was not happy when i found this out myself this is why i use the machine as a media center machine and not a gaming machine because you cannot find a graphics card above 512 megs for this machine from dell

15. berrymartin

berrymartin Member

For games you want something higher than a 4350, although it's way better than an 8400. The only thing that is good about the 8400 is that it's cheap and there are for some reason tons of manufacturers that sell it. But for gaming cheap is not good.

Regards,
    Berry Martin

16. princelee1019

princelee1019 Member

Dear Would I require a low profile graphics card or could I run the high power end graphics cards?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  17. ddp

depends on your computer & we are not "dear" because you sound like a spammer that i ban.