1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommended Printable Media

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by newbs, Oct 27, 2004.

1. newbs

newbs Member

Apologies if this has been asked and answered already, but I searched through the forums and didn't find any good answers.

Does anyone have any recommendations for high quality inkjet printable media? I am primarity looking for DVD-R and CD-R. I just got an Epson R200 and I want to produce some high-quality home movie DVDs for friends and family.

Are the printable versions of media (e.g., G04/G05, TY) identical to their non-printable counterparts from the burning perspective? Which brands hold ink the best? Which have the best combination of quality ink surface and recordability/playback for the best price?

Also, can anyone point me to some pictures of the differences in printing to the white inkjet printables versus the silver ones? I'm curious to see the silver effect. Is there any difference in the ability to print to the silver versus the white discs? Or is it just a matter of preference?

Right now I am looking at the TY CD-R printables and the Ritek G04 DVD-R printables. Are these reliable brands? Should I consider others? As I said, this is mostly for low volume home projects, so i don't need 8X (or even 4X for that matter) discs. I'd rather burn slower anyway to ensure maximum playback compatibility on standalone DVD players.

2. rayboy

rayboy Regular member

> Are the printable versions of media (e.g., G04/G05, TY) identical to their non-printable counterparts from the burning perspective?

Yes.

> Which brands hold ink the best?

They are about the same if you buy the right one. Injet printable not thermal printable media

> Which have the best combination of quality ink surface and recordability/playback for the best price?

Stay with the brand that works fine on your burner. Ritek G04 is a good choice, but once again Stay with the brand that works fine on your burner

> Also, can anyone point me to some pictures of the differences in printing to the white inkjet printables versus the silver ones? I'm curious to see the silver effect

Silver has more blur but it's also have more hollogram effect, some like some dont, you have to try for yourself. For me if the label have more light color I used White media, dark color I used silver. Most of people used white, it looks more natural.

> Is there any difference in the ability to print to the silver versus the white discs?

Nop.

> Or is it just a matter of preference?

Yup.

> Right now I am looking at the TY CD-R printables and the Ritek G04 DVD-R printables. Are these reliable brands?

Yes.

> Should I consider others?

Only when those brand above dont work fine on your burner.

> As I said, this is mostly for low volume home projects, so i don't need 8X (or even 4X for that matter) discs. I'd rather burn slower anyway to ensure maximum playback compatibility on standalone DVD players.

It's a good approach (if you have 2X burner then you have to use 2X media)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2004
  3. aut0psy

aut0psy Regular member

I Would definitely say go with Ritek Ridata G04 or G05 media for inkjet printable!

At least in my experience, I wouldn't change at this point from it!

4. RicTheRed

RicTheRed Guest

Best print quality in order IMO (at least, the one that I have tried): RitekG04, ProdiscR03, TY01(-R 4x).

It is just too bad that TY has not the best printing quality because it is the best media. It is somewhat dull, it lacks color saturation. I must admit that I did not try to tweek the printer settings.
    If I include the reading I have done in other thread, Verbatim and Maxell has excellent surface. It's is just almost impossible to get them in Canada.

I also have TY CD-R silver. So-So. Not impressed.

My conclusion:
    If your burner/player combination produce good results with ritek and prodisc, go with them.

You must also consider the printable size.
    G04 and TY01 are not hub printable.
    G05 and prodisc are printable to the hub.

It's good to have both as some picture will look a lot better with the hub printable media.

5. newbs

newbs Member

Thanks to everyone for their input. It sounds like there isn't one "perfect" medium that combines a high quality recording surface with a good printing surface. I guess I value data integrity more than print quality, so that's how I will make my choice.

I've read elsewhere that the quality of Ritek G04's has gone down. Is that true? How good are BeAll disks? Are there some reliable sources for Maxell or Verbatim disks? I have looked at Rima and Newegg and they seem trustworthy. Meritline and Supermediastore seem to get mixed reviews. Should I stay away? Are there other retailers to consider?

<rant> On a semi-related note, is anyone else as frustrated as I am on the lack of information about writable optical disk media? I troll a few sites to pick up a few tips, but god help the average consumer who just walks into a Best Buy or Fry's. They probably have enough trouble understanding the differences between DVD+R and DVD-R, let alone all the different brands, the "fake" media, etc. I wish the standards boards would tighten up their standards and really force true compatibility for everything that carries the logo. </rant>

6. rayboy

rayboy Regular member

> I've read elsewhere that the quality of Ritek G04's has gone down.Is that true?

No it's NOT true, it's just happend for couple Dawner, I think bad batch, or their DVD lens not perform well. Ritek still a good quality media, I burned more than 100 of G04 (-R 4X) noproblemo.

> How good are BeAll disks?

Even this media work well for some Dawner. For me, I run away from this media.

> Are there some reliable sources for Maxell or Verbatim disks? I have looked at Rima and Newegg and they seem trustworthy. Meritline and Supermediastore seem to get mixed reviews. Should I stay away?

Some Danwer have problem with them , for me I never have problem with both of them. Just a week or two ago I like to order Ritek -R 8X injet printable media, both of them out of stocks (I think they have them now). They said Meri. Super. not so good heh? I dont think so.

> Are there other retailers to consider?

Yes there are many wed-store but you got the big four already, if you live in California you will suprise how fast the package come to your door.

borrow from RicTheRed
    ====================================================
    If your burner/player combination produce good results with ritek and prodisc, go with them.
    ====================================================
    If not then you start to look for Tayo Yuden or Mitsui.