1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommended software

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dhedges, Jul 8, 2002.

1. dhedges

dhedges Member

Hi,

I have just got a Pioneer A04 which came with Sonic MyDVD which at first impression, seems complete rubbish.

I use Adobe Premiere 6 to take my video from DV Camcorder, assemble the scenes I want and then have been writing this back to DV tape to then transfer to VHS.

If I write the complete AVI file to disc as Microsoft DV AVI, the MyDVD software will not do anything with it. I have just tried the home version of a Ulead package and whereas this did actually work, the quality was 'less than impressive'. Can you recommend any software for a home user to produce their own DVD's from files produced by Adobe Premiere. I didnt try it with normal AVI as this was saying about 16 hours to write whereas the DV AVI took about 1 hour to write to hard drive.

Also the Ulead package mentions can handle files over 4GB but doesnt say the max size whereas some of my current videos AVI files total a lot more than that.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2002
  2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Cinemacraft plugin for Premiere will produce a very good quality mpeg video off the timeline, and it's one of the fastest. Encoding time will depend on the settings and system performance. You can then import the result into the authoring sw.

3. dhedges

dhedges Member

Hi,

I tried a demo version of cinemacraft and onscreen the image looked ok but I didnt burn it to disc as I noticed the picture jumping occasionally. eg Wedding ceremony, Groom and best man stood waiting for bride, camcorder on tripod with nobody near it, picture nice and steady then it seems to move up the screen about 3 mm in the preview window of premiere.

I might try burning a disc to see if that still happens on an actual dvd.

Thanks

4. rocn1976

rocn1976 Member

Hi I do not know anything about adobe premier but I do know that you need a program that can render your footage in Mpg2 format that is dvd complient. That is why The sonic program won't use the avi file because DVD video is Mpg2. About your quality issues this depends on your capture card and your cpu/memory and HD speed. Also It never looks that good on your monitor unless you have an expensive monitor and great video card. IF you tried to watch dvd movies you'll know what I mean. You also said You have a dv tape. If you have firewire or Ieee 1394 conection on you camera and a pci card for your pc the video transfer and quality is amazing. I bought the Pioneer 104 dvd-rw drive which is the same as yours but it's the oem version and I got different software. I use cyberlink powerdirector pro that allows you to capture video at avi vcd or dvd format and allows for affects and transitions and it also has a disc wizard for creating the dvd with basic menus and navigation buttons. It is not as powerful as the sonic program but it does a good job. I would suggest trying to use a dvd-rw so if you don't like the outcome you can erase it and try something else. Let us know what hardware you have ie. computer, camera and capturecard and I will give you some more advise.