1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recommends on good dvd rip software please

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by pointman1, Oct 24, 2004.

1. pointman1

pointman1 Member

ive been using dvd x copy express, and was wondering if you guys can recommend something better to rip dvds. thanks!

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi pointman1, welcome to aD,

Here's a list, choose one -

FOR DVD-5's and DVD-9's

1. DVD Shrink (ver. 3.2) ISO mode + DVD Decrypter, ISO write mode (FREE)

2. DVD Shrink (ver 3.2) + Nero (ver 6, Ultra Edition)

3. DVD Shrink (ver 3.2) + CopyToDVD

4. AnyDVD or DVD43 + DVD2One + CopyToDVD

5. AnyDVD or DVD43 + CloneDVD2 (elby)

6. AnyDVD or DVD43 + Nero Recode 2

For DVD-5's ONLY

7. DVD Decrypter in the ISO read mode + DVD Decrypter in the ISO write mode

8. AnyDVD or DVD43 + Nero Express (copy Disc to Disc)

FOR DVD-5's and DVD-9's

9. DVD Decrypter (File Mode) + DVDCopy2 (InterVideo - fast w/ excellent quality)

10. 13. DVD Decrypter + dvd Santa

11. AnyDVD + dvd Santa

12 AnyDVD + CloneDVD (.net not elby)
    (Little or no compression, it's a poor proggy, DO NOT PURCHASE)

Enjoy,

Pete

3. pointman1

pointman1 Member

hey thanks for the welcome! i appreciate it.

whoa! didnt expect so many choices.

can you recommend one for a noob to technical things? i just wanted something that was an upgrade over my old dvd xpress... it doesnt burn the menu or subtitles. any opinions are greatly appreciated. thanks again for the welcome.

4. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

I use DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter for copy DVDs. There are easy to use and will keep the extras. There are guides here to explain.
    Nero is burner that has more applications than Decrypter. You can download Nero each month for free or buy it. I have a copy of a OEM version not the Ultra but it is a good proogy.
    They are a good place to start.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    DELL Dimension 8300 XP Pro SP2
    Pentium 4 3.2GHz HT 1GB DDR SDRAM
    2x160GB RAID 0 SATA HDD
    16xDVD-ROM 8xDVD DL+R/+R/+RW
    19" LCD. Dolby 5.1[/small]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2004
  5. pointman1

pointman1 Member

hey thanks... do i decrypt, then shrink?

6. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

You can and many here do. But Shrink should handle most movies, if will not do the job then use Decrypter.
    Then burn with Decrypter or Nero, Shrink has settings to burn with either proogy.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  7. pointman1

pointman1 Member

oh okay , thanks. so ill stick with shrink... and if it doesnt handle certain discs first decrypt, then burn...okay, got it... much appreicated.

8. zippyd

zippyd Active member

I tracked down a Pete Guide for shrink and decrypter for you since I'm in a good mood today......Enjoy

Today is your lucky day - Within a 1 1/2 hours span of time at the most, you'll finish your 1st DVD backup.

Here ya go my friend BUT don't think it's going to happen often - I just don't you to think everyone will be doing this for you is all -

Enough said, Here ya go -

A ScubaPete Guide for DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter :)

Let's go get one of your favorite DVD's and make a copy of it so should something unforeseen happen like an ice flow hitting the Mojave Desert and freezing the original, you'll have a backup of it -

Here we go, step by step - it can't fail, "Uncle" ScubaPete's can't miss "We're going ta burn a DVD backup right now, youngin's'" Guide to backing up :p).

First create a folder for your HD backup. . This is the place on your HD where DVD Shrink will work on your movie files and DVD Decrypter can pick them up to burn to disc. Try to put it someplace where you won't forget it (i.e. C:\All DVD Work\ Sleeping Beauty Kills Bill, needs Anger Management").

Next download DVD Decrypter and under Mode select "ISO", "Write". Un-tick the box that says "Verify". Where it says, "Source", you'll leave that blank as DVD Decrypter will find the location of your backed up DVD file automatically. Lastly, where it says "Destination", select the drive where your burner resides. Feel free to close DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink will open it when it needs it.

Here's the link for the newest DVD Decrypter -
    http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

Download DVD Shrink. Open it and click "Edit", then click "Preferences" on this page we're going to select "DVD Target Size" as "Custom" and set the size between "4300" and "4360MB" - we do this to make sure that we don't write too close to the edge of the disc. Then under the "File I/O" tab un-tick "Enable burning with Nero" then click "OK"

Here's the link for the newest DVD Shrink -
    http://www.dvdshrink.org/

Now you can place your original DVD in your DVD-ROM drive and a DVD blank in your burner's drive (If you have two drives). If you only have the one drive, put your original in that drive now. When the time comes for you to put in your blank in either the drive door will open OR a message will appear. As for your DVD blank media, THIS IS IMPORTANT. Poor quality DVD blanks are responsible for a host of copying errors and hence, failures. Look for a thread dealing with backup media where we'll discuss DVD media in depth. But for now, PLEASE acquire some of the following. Recommended media for use with this Beginner's guide. Quality media would be Sony, TDK, Ritek G04, Verbatim "DataLife", Verbatim DataLife "Plus", Ridata, any media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO", Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi are excellent bets.. - As I mentioned, we'll go into more on proper media in another thread.. This might be a good time to use a DVD RW. We won't use them regularly because for 1, many DVD players don't play them and 2, they cost too much (Lol). We do want to use them because if we make a mistake, it won't cost us a disc. When we get our steps down we'll then switch to our single-write media.

Now let's burn a DVD, OK ? Kweel ! Alright then, let's open DVD Shrink and "click' "Open Disk". We'll have to wait anywhere from 30-seconds to a minute for DVD Shrink to analyze (rip) your DVD. If you wish, we can edit your movie now. To trim some unnecessary items from your movie, you can "un-tick" some extra audio you don't want like the foreign audio streams, i.e. Klingon, Solarian Cluster Mush OR Eastern Himalayan Yak language selections or the Director's comments (also known as Outer Mongolian). This will result in your DVD requiring less compression and therefore providing you with a better quality picture.
    Today we're doing a "Full backup", that's everything on the original disc on your backup. We need to be sure that the "Full Disc" icon is depressed. Don't try to cheer it up and don't worry, it likes being "depressed". There's no problem in doing a "Full backup" as long as we don't see any "Red" on the size bar at the top of your window. If you should see some "Red" on the size bar, simply "Un-tick" any foreign languages, i.e. Klingon, Solarian Mush-mouth, Director's comments or DTS sound boxes until the "Red" disappears. Actually you can "Un-tick" those things anyway, it'll lessen the compression on your backup. (a good thing :) With no "Red" visible on the size bar we just let the "Automatic" (Default) settings alone.

It's now time to select Backup". Take just a second and under "Target Device" go to "Select backup target " once there, select "ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter". Now, under "Quality Settings", if it's SPEED you're after, "un-tick" the box which says, "Perform deep analysis" and "un-tick" the box for "Compress the video with high quality adaptive error compensation". This will give you an acceptable DVD backup. If it's QUALITY you're after and have some extra time to spend, "tick" Perform deep analysis before backup to improve quality" AND "tick" "Compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation." There you may adjust quality enhancements. Practicing with the settings can produce even better end products. For a no-frills DVD's like "There's something about Mary" I like Extra Smooth BUT for DVD's with a lot of special effects, I use the Extra Sharp setting. That's for me, you'll have to decide what you like :) If all the boxes are "grayed out" that's OK, it means your DVD is small enough that little will be lost from the original. Good, now click "OK." Finally, where it says "Select target image file", browse till you find your created folder for your backup, C:\All DVD Work\Sleeping Beauty Kills Bill, needs Anger Management and click "Save". That's it ! Click "OK" and DVD Shrink burns that ISO image to your HD. It then opens DVD Decrypter and has it burn the ISO image to your waiting blank DVD.

Let's not use your PC for anything at all while it's working, we don't want to mess things up this late in the game.

When your PC burns DVD's, it requires 100% of your processor to do the job correctly. For now, let's allow your PC to work in peace.
    Ms. Computer will let you know when she's finished -

We're finished here, my work is done, enjoy your DVD backup.

Thank you for choosing a ScubaPete Guide.

9. pointman1

pointman1 Member

zippyd, thanks alot... im going to try it right after work... thanks again!

10. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Hey, I only deserve a half thanks. ScubaPete gets half for writing it and I get half for remembering one of the spots he posted it.

11. 1209

1209 Member

I'll say super ripper. i lets u rip at chapter level....great one...

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

(Huuuummmm, not too bad a guide if you do say so myself -(Lol) :)

13. pointman1

pointman1 Member

zippy, scuba...THANKS!!!! i just use the write up... and it worked great...and im a super noob!! best ever, thanks again!

oh, i just burned "dawn of the dead"...is it normal to take 2 hours with all features?

14. zippyd

zippyd Active member

The time it takes to process a dvd for backup varies from person to person and PC to PC. Your PC specs play a large role in how fast the process goes. But 2 hours does seem a bit long.

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Actually, with my PC (check my sig), to do everything with the Deep anaylsis and the Quality enhancements (using maximum smoothness which does a nicer job but takes longer than Maximum sharpness") 2 hours is about right for a good sized movie. I've done Dawn of the Dead but I don't remember how long exactly it took BUT for that amount of time I don't know any proggy which does a better job :)

Pete

16. pointman1

pointman1 Member

thanks Scuba... your comp is sick! im pretty new to all things computer related, but i know yours is better than mine. i have a dell pentium 4 with 2.8ghz? and 512mb? something like that.