1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recording a digital broadcast

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by bluevette, May 14, 2007.

1. bluevette

bluevette Member

I have a Pioneer DVR and would like to hook it up to my TV where I have a Comcast Digital Set top box. Is there anyway possible to record onto the DVR through the Comcast Box so I can record a channel that needs to first go through the Comcast Box. If I bypass the Comcast Box then I will only be able to record up to channel 82.

If there is a way please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. CrazCanuk

CrazCanuk Member

Hi bluevette, this is how I'm connected to my box and cable.

I like to have the peace of mind that I can watch and record whatever I want, when I want so here's what I did.

You'll need the cable feed plus 4 RF cables, a splitter (typical or amplified, make sure that in either case you use a bi-directional one, so that the cable company can still view your box to see if you've ordered any on-demand service for billing purposes otherwise they might close the service until they figure out that you put in a splitter unit that's not bi-directional, the cable company helped me out with that actually) and an A/B switch.

1) split cable 3 ways, one to recorder rf in, the other to box rf in and the last one to an A/B cable switch (A).
    2) send your box's RCA phono or S-Video w/audio output to recorder input source and the box cable output to the A/B switch (B).
    3) A/B cable switch output to tv cable input.
    4) to record cable (under ch 82) and watch box at the same time, use timer and tv tuner as usual and watch box feed on switch (B).
    5) to record box (over 82) and watch cable at the same time, set box on channel you want to record and use timer and input source and watch cable feed on switch (A).

The only combo you cannot have (other than getting a second box) is watching and recording two channels over ch 82 at the same time.

That should do the trick.

Cheers

CC

3. bluevette

bluevette Member

Thanks! I'll give it a try.