1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording an NTSC DVD onto PAL VHS

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Moog, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Moog

Moog Member

I ordered a Disney DVD from America to play on my DVD player. It is quite an old title and doesn't appear to be Macrovision protected. I've tried to record it onto VHS so my son can watch it in his room but the tape comes out in black and white and the sound is wobbly.

Is the problem because the DVD is NTSC and the VHS format is PAL? I thought of recording the DVD output onto my camcorder but you only get the sound - again, the recorder is PAL. I'd really appreciate some help.

2. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Do you have a video out on your PC? I live in Canada, but have converted a PAL DVD to NTSC VHS by playing it in my computer and outputting it into my VCR.

Hope that helps.

3. mamanana1

mamanana1 Member

would the reverse work?, I am in the USA ( ntsc) and I have a vhs recorded in PAL,

4. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Would the reverse work?

Only if you have a VHS-ROM on your PC and a stand alone DVD recorder.

Th method I mentioned works because the computer doesn't care what the original source is; it converts it to a computer standard, then your video card takes that and outputs it to NTSC.